New MacBook Pro out-of-box with Scratch

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacsOnAnabolics, Sep 26, 2009.

1. MacsOnAnabolics macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Hey people,

So thursday I sold my early 2009 uMBP and bought a new uMBP w/ SD and integrated battery. I opened the box yesterday night only to find a small defect, probably a result of the manufacturer's finish of the metal aluminum. This "scratch" is directly above the trackpad and runs parallel with it. It can only be see in certain light, however, is especially visible when the LED screen is on.
    If I take it back to apple, what can you anticipate they might say? Is there anything I can tell them to persuade them to replace this machine? Its been two days since I bought the item at the store. I have everything with which it came with (box, accessories, and receipt).

Any help anyone can offer is greatly appreciated.

2. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

Are you sure it is a scratch? Can you feel it? When I bought my MBP, I saw what appeared to be a scratch on the top of the lid. I thought it could dirt, so I tried cleaning it with a wet towel, but it didn't come off. Then I tried a Magic Eraser, and it came off.

3. MacsOnAnabolics thread starter macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

To answer your question, no I am not sure it is actually a scratch. On feeling it, there is no distinct unevenness about it. I tried cleaning it with iKlear solution but to no avail. I just hope apple will accept my return. I have an appointment on tuesday.

4. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

I would try a magic eraser and if that doesn't come off then take it to the app store and be firm and tell them its irritating and you want it to be replaced

5. Cathode macrumors regular

Cathode

There is nothing wrong with expecting and receiving a perfect machine when your a paying customer. Take that crap back.

I had a blackened spot in the metal next to my trackpad when I originally purchased mine. The 'genius' said sorry, they expect to have a few cosmetic defects and refused to exchange it. After speaking with the manager he quickly swapped it out for a new one on the spot.

Just get in as soon as possible.

6. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I don't see anything wrong with expecting a $3,000.00 laptop to be damn near perfect. There are plenty of other competitors the money could be given to.

If the scratch were on the underside of the case, or somewhere that's likely to get scratched as wear and tear that would be one thing.

But an obvious, large cosmetic defect? Come on.

I'm not sure that's a great idea. Has anyone else tried this? I wouldn't use a micro abrasive like that on a finished surface.

7. MacsOnAnabolics thread starter macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

I really appreciate all of your replies. I have decided just to take it in without trying the magic erase trick, for fear it might cause more damage. Nevertheless, I will entertain that idea at last resort. I am wondering if I schedule an appointment with a technician will I bee waiting too long? Does it look better if I just walk in and tell 'em hey this is not what I payed my money for? I just don't want them to take me too casually is all. I believe closer to the date of purchase is best. Or should I wait the 4 days after purchase for my appointment with a technician to see the notebook? I just don't want them thinking I have had the machine for a few days so there is more possibility that I created the imperfection... Any advice please?

8. yettimillan macrumors regular

I would take it in now, they could say '4 days, wear and tear'

9. MacsOnAnabolics thread starter macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

That was exactly my reasoning! Thanks man I suppose I'll do that first thing tomorrow morning. :)

10. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Good luck and be sure to tell us how you got on.

11. wankey macrumors 6502a

No wonder Apple has to charge a rediculous amount of money for their underpowered laptops. People like you return them BECAUSE OF A SCRATCH!

12. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

What's wrong with expecting an expensive notebook computer to be free from cosmetic defects upon purchase?

Nothing. So stop trolling.

13. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

No need to say that. If you have opinions, please voice them respectfully.:rolleyes:

And... :apple: does not charge a "ridiculous" amount of $$ for underpowered laptops... because you can't compare apples to windows (one's a fruit and one's glass):D.

14. Ace134blue macrumors 6502a

Ace134blue

Yes you can, plus someone above tried it before anyways

15. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

That's just stupid. If you pay a lot of money, you can expect it to be perfect. Why should you get a product that isn't perfect when you buy it brand new?

16. MacsOnAnabolics thread starter macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

Hey guys so I went to the apple store earlier today in Victoria Gardens. Needless to say they replaced my machine without incident. In stead of waiting for my appointment with the genius bar I decided to express to them my level of concern by delivering a prompt return to the store. I bought an external hard drive and made a backup there instore.
    After I was finished they swapped out my aesthetically defective machine for a a rather flawless one. I was impressed when the associate said he would over ride the restock fee, which to my knowledge is 10%.
    All-in-all, the process was very sensitive to my experience as haggle-free. So far my new machine hasn't shown any imperfection but I'll definitly let you all know if something turns up! ;-)

thanks for the responses.

17. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

No whats stupid is that you, and everyone else agreeing with this train of thought are all hypocrites. Let me explain...

An apple computer is a lot of money, but I think everyone here can agree that a car is a LOT more money. So with the above train of thought, that car better be even more damn perfect than an apple computer "should be."

Now when you go buy a new car, I can guarantee you there are some swirls/light scratches in the paint somewhere...are you going to go to the dealership, return the car and demand for another one? No you wont and if you did you would probably be laughed at.

18. AnotherFanBoy macrumors regular

Don't call me stupid, it's pretty sad you resort to that.

No but it's about scale. If you have a scratch on your car, you won't see it, if you have a scratch on your mac you definitely will. If you had a huge chip in the paint on your car, are you telling me you won't take it back? I think the problem here is that you probably haven't had a flawed product, but I'm sure your tune will change when it is you who lays out over $1000 and gets a product with a mark on it.

19. bruinsrme macrumors 603

bruinsrme

why would someone expect to be charged a restocking fee for
    a defect on Apple's behalf?

20. SMC1991 macrumors member

Especially when you're paying a premium for looks (and a great OS). But when I'm getting lesser hardware for my money, I agree with you, it better damn be perfect when I take it out of that box.

21. nullx86 macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Take it to the Apple Store ASAP! Seriously, if you dont do it within the week, you'll put yourself at risk for getting either a) Refused for a return or b) a return and get a refurb. Apple has a strict 14-day policy for returns to get your product new. After 14 days, you get a refurb. If you put all that money down on a new MBP, then it should not have a scratch. It's either a defect in the CNC process for the unibody, or you got scammed and got a refurb. Take it back, and talk to a genius to get a replacement. If they refuse to service you, talk to a Manager. If that doesnt work, call Apple Support and talk to them. If they dont do anything, threaten them with having your bank dispute the transaction (you can do this, if the company you bought from is unwilling to do anything about sending you faulty equipment, just know it will get nasty, companies dont like it when you do this) and then see if Apple does anything; they will most likely send you something if they havent already. Hope all this helps.

22. fabian9 macrumors 65816

fabian9

I'm really hoping you mean that the genius meant he wouldn't charge you the 10% re-stocking fee when you returned the external HDD, which presumably you returned straight after restoring the backup to your new machine?

Fabian

23. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

Calm down. The OP has already returned the flawed notebook and gotten a replacement. All is well.
    </thread>

24. MacsOnAnabolics thread starter macrumors regular

MacsOnAnabolics

lol oh geez... what did I start? Just to clarify everything is settled! :)

-closed