New Macbook Pro owner...AppleCare? or SquareTrade?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by maf2k8, Dec 7, 2009.

1. maf2k8 macrumors 6502

Hello! Well i have crossed over to the "Other Side" Got my very first Mac the other day ( macbook pro 15 ) as i am a current PC user.

Now, I am still confused as to which would be a better warranty/protection for my MBP.

Applecare VS Squaretrade

The MAIN benefit i am seeing with squartrade is the accidental damage ( which apple does not offer )

I was curious if anyone had any experience with there MB with Squaretrade? I have never used Squaretrade for anything, So this would be a first also.

I just want good protection and warranty with my MBP.

Any comments, suggestions, tips would be great

Thanks!

2. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

I had never heard of them. I don't like the "email you a quote" stuff so that turns me off right off. They could list prices on the site. However if it is legit accident coverage would be cool for sure.

3. TsuaSai macrumors 6502

I have squaretrade on my iphone and tv. I would go with them for the accidental coverage I just didn't have the money at the time. To get the accidental coverage you must the the insurance with in 30 days of buying the computer.

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Ah forget that then. Too bad I might have bought it.

5. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well they dont Email you a quote, there pricing is right on there website.

For my MBP it would cost 199.00 for 3yr Product Care Plan and a extra 200 for Accidental damage, so a total of 399.00 would get me a warranty and if i ever spilled or dropped anything on the MBP they would replace it if it was not able to be repaired.

I have read nothing but great reviews on Squaretrade but was just seeing what people out here use for warranty protection.

6. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

Ah for me there was a series of menus to choose item and it ended in saying they would email me a quote. I must have missed the other options my bad.

ETA I just checked it again and there is no other place to get prices on squaretrade.com...only the "get a warranty" tab.

7. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

When you first go on there page and enter the info for a quote you have the option to enter your email and have a quote sent to your email, but leave it blank, enter the info about the item and hit get quote, then the price pops up. Once you click add to cart, youll have a option to add accidental damage to the plan.

I hear a lot of horror stories about people dropping there MBs or spilling or something. I believe its only 1 replacement allowed. ( meaning you can only have your MB replaced once during that 3yr period )

From the reviews i have read, people have gotten there check for the FULL PRICE within a week of filing a claim.

I am just wondering what people out here use as far as warrant/protection? or do they not bother?

The prices seem high ( squaretrade, bestbuy, applecare ) but then again, a MB with tax is close to 2,000.00.........

8. coast1ja macrumors 6502

I'm sending my MBA to squaretrade today, I'll let you know how they hand things!

9. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes! If you could let me know how it goes that would be great! What happened exactly? damage? or warranty work? let me know! thanks again

10. maf2k8 thread starter macrumors 6502

AHHH SWEET!!! I found someone who had a 50% off SquareTrade Code ( no cap, an actual 50% off )

I got 3yr warranty along with accidental damage for 199.00!!!!

I went ahead with it because i could not pass it up!

11. Paik4Life macrumors member

Nice! If you get one, would you mind spreading the wealth? I really want to get a Square Trade warranty for my new Macbook Air. 50% off of that would be fantastic. I've also sent you a PM.

~Paik

12. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

That 50% off was from last year. Right now they are offering 35% (up to $35) with the code "secret"

13. nizmoz macrumors 65816

No it was from this year and he already did it. I could have done it a month ago as well if I wanted too.

14. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

How did the squaretrade repair work out?

15. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

just go with applecare less hassle. and dont drink near electronics.

16. tigress666 macrumors 68040

If you have State Farm insurance you can take advantage of their personal articles policy.

It costs me 30 dollars a year to insure my macbook pro, no deductible, for theft or damage. Couple that with Applecare and your computer will be completely covered :). State Farm's policy is way better than Squaretrade's (covers theft and no deductible).

17. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

Oh sorry, the post was from December 8, 2009. Maybe I am missing something here...

18. nizmoz macrumors 65816

You know I don't get this. I called my State Farm agent and they said they have no such thing. Explain that one to me?

19. natebookpro macrumors 6502a

I have Eerie homeowner insurance. You just need to let them know that you want a rider to cover your laptop. You should be able to do this with most homeowner insurance I would think. Mine costs like 15 dollars for the year and will cover loss, damage and theft.

20. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I dunno... it lists on their webpage the personal articles policy. I have had mine insured for three years this way. Used to have my iphone too but they stopped insuring cellphones (probably from people abusing the policy... "Oops, I dropped my cellphone conveniently before my coverage plan contract ran out").

Here is the webpage on it even:

http://www.statefarm.com/insurance/other/personal.asp

Maybe your agent is uninformed?