New Macbook Pro Owner/Switcher

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Advent.Hor1zon, Jan 1, 2009.

1. Advent.Hor1zon macrumors newbie

Hello macrumors forum members. I recently purchased a unibody macbook pro on Dec. 27th and am very excited about using this absolutely beautiful piece of machinery. Do you guys have any recommendations as to what apps a switcher should have? I appreciate non-pompous comments. :]

2. DirtyDan macrumors member

I'm a new macbook pro owner too... which model did you get the 15.4"?

And if so do you ever notice it getting kind of hot?

3. mbcollins93 macrumors member

mbcollins93

4. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

I just got the 15.4 Pro, 2.4 and I haven't noticed it getting hot at all. Very cool and quiet.

5. Advent.Hor1zon thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies!

@miamialley: Have you ever tried running handbrake on your new MBP? I installed istat menus and it shows my cpu temp running at 80 degrees celsius. Any idea if this is normal?

6. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Apparently, it is fairly normal. Download smcFanControl or FanControl 1.2 if you want to adjust your fans manually. smcFanControl is easier to use, but it requires you to change settings manually, except for its ability to change fan profiles when you connect or disconnect your charger. Fan Control 1.2 can function automatically, but it can be prone to random freakouts at times (applying settings other than what you specified in the Preference Pane, not showing temps properly, etc). Also, many people either forget or don't realize it installs an auto-launching daemon that constantly monitors your fan speeds and changes them to the settings you specified, and are confused at their inablity to get rid of it. You also can't bind different temps to different fans, it's just stuck with both fans following the CPU only. (Basically, if you used SpeedFan under windows, you will be in despair of finding a replacement)

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Congrats on your new computer and welcome to the world of Mac and may you and your new MBP live long together and prosper.

I switched last April, and as a lot of my work is in Word - the world I work in is exclusively Word - I immediately bought an Office for Mac package (and yes, I know perfectly well that the Mac people swear by iWork, and I don't doubt its excellence, but Word was a necessity for work.)

Cheers and good luck

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

9. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's kind of a vague question, what types of programs do you want to run?

10. shoppy macrumors 6502a