Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hecklerxkoch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Hello all...great forum here!

I have been an avid pc user for years and know Windows very well. I am, however sick and tired of problems with Windows and am going to purchase a MBP 15" laptop. I wanted to get a few ideas from you all as far as a couple of specific questions.

I want to wait and get a MBP with a 750gb hard drive. In your best mac opinions, how long might one wait for this drive to be available? Also when is the new operating system going to be available? I believe it's called snow leopard? Last question, do you recommend buying directly through Apple, or the mac mall or even ebay (from a reputable seller)? The apple store seems logical, but more expensive (of course). Applecare is also tempting, but doesn't include accidental damage, which most pc's warranties can cover (if you purchase it).

Any suggestinos you could give me as far as making a smooth transition to a mac? I am planning on running parallels with either windows xp or windows 7, but I don't know if parallels will support Windows 7 for awhile. Regardless, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I would buy from the Apple Store in person or Amazon online personally

Snow Leopard will be out in September

I would buy Apple Care as well, but that's just me

Fusion runs Windows 7 just fine for me

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

EMKarelia

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
Denver
I would not waste more money. I would buy a mac on craigslist or ebay. Make sure it has apple iCare and your good to go.

phooi

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2007
Hello all...great forum here!

I have been an avid pc user for years and know Windows very well. I am, however sick and tired of problems with Windows and am going to purchase a MBP 15" laptop. I wanted to get a few ideas from you all as far as a couple of specific questions.

I want to wait and get a MBP with a 750gb hard drive. In your best mac opinions, how long might one wait for this drive to be available? Also when is the new operating system going to be available? I believe it's called snow leopard? Last question, do you recommend buying directly through Apple, or the mac mall or even ebay (from a reputable seller)? The apple store seems logical, but more expensive (of course). Applecare is also tempting, but doesn't include accidental damage, which most pc's warranties can cover (if you purchase it).

Any suggestinos you could give me as far as making a smooth transition to a mac? I am planning on running parallels with either windows xp or windows 7, but I don't know if parallels will support Windows 7 for awhile. Regardless, any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

I am a recent converter and still use Windows for most of my work applications. I can't stand Mac Office and its lack of keyboard shortcuts. To answer your questions:

- Largest laptop drive you can get PC or Mac is 500GB so that is not platform dependent.
- Snow leopard is due out in Sept but will cost you $9.95 to upgrade if you buy a MBP now.
- Apple generally does not discount their prices much so most retailers are all within a small margin. I would be wary of any retailer with ridiculously cheap prices.
- I would recommend Applecare. Should you need a repair, it will be expensive and having Applecare makes it hassle free.
- I have fusion on my machine running WinXP but not sure if I recommend it. I have periodic problems with the sound drivers and requires strange reboot sequences to fix them.
- Not sure if fusion will support Windows7 but suspect it will. Also, you can also use Apple's boot camp to create a Windows partition. After all, the guts of the machine is basically the same as a PC.

Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.