New MacBook Pro power button broken?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bryan85, Jul 8, 2011.

1. bryan85 macrumors regular

I just took delivery of my brand new MacBook Pro listed in my sig. The power button seems to take quite a bit of force to get it to activate. So much so that when I tried to power it on the first time, I though it was broken. I have to fully depress the button, and then push just a little more. I am comparing this to my C2D 13" MBP, so I don't know if the design has changed and it is working as intended. I am going to check it out at my local store on Sunday. Any suggestions? Thanks! :apple:

2. Apple 26.2 Contributor

Apple 26.2

You're saying a good nudge on the button doesn't do anything? Interesting.

3. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i think the power button on the 2011 mbp is smaller and deeper... deeper in a sense that u have to press it more because the depth of the button is longer? LOL... can't really explain well. compared to a early 2008 mbp (silver keys) where the power button was bigger and depth was shallower.

this was the feeling i got... just got my 2011 mbp 2.3 (same spec as you)... upgraded from early 08 mbp.

i don't think it's an issue. it would be an issue if u pressed the power button and the computer didn't turn on LOL

4. phreshbec macrumors newbie

i just got one and i have no problem. maybe even smoother than my old MBP.

5. bryan85 thread starter macrumors regular

Yea, the power button is a little different but it almost hurts my finger to get it to activate. I fell like I am going to break it just trying to turn it on. Also, the keyboard backlight isn't evenly lit. I called Apple and they are going to ship a replacement. They also gave me a Magic Trackpad for my hassle. Looks like I will wait patiently. :)

6. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

well done! couldn't have done it better myself.