New Macbook Pro Price

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Marti23, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Marti23 macrumors member

Hey, assuming that there is a revision to the macbook pro this month or whenever it may be, what are the current models going to sell for? Like the lower level 2.2 SR mbp now that is listed at 1999.

Is it going to be a major price drop, or does it depends on the update?

Also how long after the update can we see this price drop? And how long till the new macbook pros are listed in the refurbished apple site?

thanks

2. Pressure macrumors 68040

Pressure

As with every iteration of the MacBook Pro I think they are going to retain their current price point. $1999 and $2499 for the 15" MacBook Pro and $2799 for the 17" MacBook Pro.

Sorry, what I mean is that new products simply replace older products without a price drop.

They usually appear on the refurbished store though.

3. Flyer0815 macrumors 6502

While the iMac did get a nice price cut when it was revamped last summer, I don't think the MBP will see any cuts. The current entry level model is 1999, where the MBA is 1799. A price cut would leave two overlapping price points and would be quite confusing for customers. I know the two machines are different beasts for different uses, but it still isn't good marketing.

My money is on 1999, 2499, 2799.

4. giganten macrumors 6502a

Will probably be same price as now. But maybe biger hdd or something so you will get more for the money.

5. true777 macrumors 6502a

true777

The previous models will probably be discounted and show up on Apple's refurb site immediately after the release of the new ones. Resellers like MacMall also discount previous models the same day new models are released.

You can expect moderate savings -- not very much as I seem to recall -- say, $200-300. Generally savings are between 13% and 18% of the original price I seem to recall (but I may be a bit off). So sometimes you are better off buying the next generation since the bigger hard drive, more memory, faster processor, higher resell value, etc., often more than make up for the slight price difference. I have mostly wondered who is buying those dated models with the worse specs and only moderate savings in price.

You might have better luck with resellers -- if they have big inventory on obsolete models left they sometimes get desperate and sell them at very low prices, so don't limit your search to apple.com.