New MacBook Pro...problems with programs freezing?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by montreal328, Aug 5, 2009.

1. montreal328 macrumors newbie

I bought a new macbook pro a month ago and have had serious issues with programs freezing. For example, about every thirty minutes or so the song that itunes is playing will stop and the spinning wheel will pop up. This also happens every once in a while with safari. I'll be scrolling through a website and all of a sudden it will freeze and the wheel will show. Each time the wheel comes up it spins for less than a minute and then everything is fine. I have also had this happen during video playback.

I've tried restarting multiple times as well as running Onyx and restarting after that. I haven't installed anything out of the ordinary as far as programs go, and I have installed all of apple's updates.

Any ideas?

2. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

Go to Activity Monitor in Utilities, take a screenshot of it, and then post the image here. You should be able to tell by the activity monitor if anythings acting out of the ordinary.

You could also try run a Hardware Test

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509

3. jmf1 macrumors newbie

4. montreal328 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the screenshot. There were 3 items that wouldn't fit in the image: safari, itunes and dashboardclient.

Attached Files:

5. lee.anderson macrumors regular

lee.anderson

Everything looks normal there....

I was going to say maybe you haven't got enough ram, but you said it was a new macbook pro so that shouldn't be a problem.

It could be your HDD, have you heard any clicking coming from your computer? That would be a sign of hdd failure, and could cause your computer to freeze randomly.

Run the Hardware Test, if it doesn't bring anything up, your best bet would be to reinstall the OS.

6. borcanm macrumors regular

Ive been having the same problem since i upgraded from Tiger 10.4.11 to Leopard 10.5.6 Retail back in March. I think its a combination of problems involving hardware and OSX. What you can do to alleviate the problem is to reset the PRAM (only a temporary fix) by:
    1 Turn off computer
    2 Turn on computer and hold down ALT+Command+P+R when you turn on computer
    3 Computer restarts and you will hear the chime
    4 When you hear the chime take your fingers off the keys

This help to take away the problem for a while, like a day or two if its in constant use.

If you reset the PMU (look on apple site for steps) as well, then you'll get around 1 to 2 weeks of no freezing if you constantly use your computer.

Its definitely an OSX 10.5.x problem because in windows xp Sp2 this has never happened no matter how long the computer is in use. I could be playing Assassins Creed or Warhammer:Dawn of War 2, the computer gets really hot that it burns, but still runs smoothly without any freeze or lockups.

BTW I have a MBP 1,1
    2.16GHz
    2G ram
    ATI 1600x