New Macbook Pro - Problems with resolution of external display under VISTA

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Symeon3, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Symeon3 macrumors newbie

I don't know if this was addressed already, but I couldn't find any answer to it yet.
    I have a new Macbook pro 2.4 with a Nvidia Geforce 8600GT card. I recently bought a Dell 30 inch 3007WFP-HC monitor. It was immediately recognized under OSX when I connected it to the laptop and displays at maximum resolution and works perfect. However in Boot camp 1.4 when running Vista Premium edition the laptop works fine with the 15 inch LED display having the highest resolution but somehow my external display is recognized but can not display a hire resolution than 1024 x 768, which is completely useless. I assume this is a driver problem. Does anyone knows an answer to this problem.

2. ziutek macrumors member

Go to laptopvideo2go.com to get updated drivers.

Use this link if your running 32 bit vista: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=14932

Install the drivers.

When you boot in to vista, don't have the external monitor initially plugged in. Once it's fully booted, plug in the external monitor and you should be able to select the 2560x1600 resolution in the display preferences.

3. toutbeau macrumors newbie

is it ok now?

thinking of getting the cheapest mbp but tell me this:

with such a low spec (8600) gpu is the output on such a big screen good enough? is there not a big bottle neck with many applications running

i only intend to do office work/net ie no graphics but have a screen 1920*1200.

have been used to 8800 gts on a pc

so bit apprehensive. what ur opinion?

4. .mark. macrumors 6502

i have the exact same problem except i have the 24" dell. I found that if you connect it with the dvi-vga convertor and then the vga cable you can get max resolution. I think the problem with the dvi is something to do with nvidia failing to make drivers that work...

let me know how you get on with the other tip from ziutek.

5. cobravap macrumors regular

probably updating the drivers would fix it. I dont have windows installed to test it out though.

6. mckeeimages macrumors newbie

Dell 30" on Macbook Pro

I am having res issues while running the Dell 30" on my MBP 2.4 15".
    Anyone have any suggestions for me.?

I can not get full res at all, I have tried just about every trick I can think of and am starting to think I have a dud screen.
    I have used 3 different DVI cables, gone through all the res settings and the only one that works is 1280 x 800 which is a Joke on this monitor.

I have tried detect displays,mirrored and not mirrored.

Short of dropping it out the window I'm stuck.
    Help
    :eek:

7. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Try running it in clamshell mode and set the resolution to its native.

8. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

max rez on a MiniDisplayPort- to- DVI adapter

which is a single link, is 1920 x 1200 (24") ... which i can confirm works just awsome even when running in 9400m GT mode.

to get the 30"ers supported you need the MiniDisplayPort-to- D-DVI

.. which is Dual Link and i believe apple is not shipping those yet, so for now your only option to get full rez on a 30" is VGA, or wait for the adapters to ship.

Also a side note, if your monitor does not support HDCP, even the D-DVI adapter will not work for you... you can thank Hollywood for that. may be time to buy a newer LCD

hope this helps

9. mckeeimages macrumors newbie

Thanks for that but for some reason if I close the lid I can not wake the computer at all.
    I have a bluetooth Keyboard and Wacom Tablet as a mouse.

Is there a way of settingit to clam shell that I dont know about.

Cheers for the input.

10. Hydroxs macrumors regular

Under vista there should be an icon with a battery. If you click on it, there should be a setting to modify your power options. Click on the one you want to modify and look for the setting where is ask what happen when you close the notebook and click nothing (I am going from memory so it might not be the exact wording).

11. Freyqq macrumors 68040

there's an old thread on this..prob in the windows on a mac forums..that had the answer to this. There is an apple support page that has the correct drivers that fix this problem. If I remember right, they integrated those drivers into the 2.1 bootcamp patch..so make sure you have that.

12. kasakka macrumors 65816

HDCP shouldn't interfere with displaying the picture in any way. Only when watching protected content can this happen.

In any case the dual-link DVI adapter, when finally available, would be the solution.

13. mckeeimages macrumors newbie

30" on a MPB running OS 5.5

IM not running Vista, sorry I should have said.

Thanks

14. whitcd macrumors newbie

I am having resolution issues running Windows Vista Enterprise on my second generation MacBook Pro. Device manager is showing NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT. With the bootcamp drivers, whenever plug in to any external display(projector,LCD TV,LCD monitor) it changes the resolution to 640x480 and does not allow me to change from that. I also tried a custom resolution of 1024x768 and that also errored in the NVIDIA control panel.

I just downloaded and installed the newest driver from laptopvideo2go (version 180.70). I was wondering if anybody has had this same problem and if you've been able to fix this problem.

15. stephentkl macrumors newbie

Yep I am....

I have a 17 inch unibody macbook pro running vista home premium. I have very occasionally achieved full resolution on external monitors, and certainly can when running in Mac OS.

I had numerous issues and on the 3rd time of reformatting resolved all the issues bar the external monitor resolution. The resolution is fixed to the minimum and that is just not good enough for my needs. The reseller does not want to know as I am running Windows. Unfortunately the applications I run are only available in Windows so I am snookered.

Anyone has any smart ideas?