New Macbook Pro Problems!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdaco6, Nov 30, 2008.

1. jdaco6 macrumors regular

Well I got my new Macbook Pro :).

I don't know what you guys think but there seems to be some weird problems and I dont know if they are enough to warrant a new one?

1st Problem. in dark videos the screen differers in brightness, there seem's to be a purple haze at the bottom and to either side much brighter than the center. You can clearly see this when you put a black picture full screen.

2nd Problem. Battery Cover appears to always insist on moving around which makes carrying the laptop a real pain.

3rd Problem. At start up there is this quiet ticking sound, sounds like its coming from the hard-drive? When you move the laptop this ticking sound also happen's.

So what do I do? does it warrant a replacement or not. Just thought I would get your opinions before I write to Apple!

Thanks.

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

take it in/send it back. they will replace it.

3. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

How about you call them up and see what they say they can do about it?

If it's new from the store just set up an appointment or bring it in for exchange if you're withing 14 or 30 days or whatever it is.

Otherwise call Applecare like I said above, they're not going to tell you off, they're going to try and help you, they want you happy, but this sounds like bad luck, and going for the next model up just sounds like digging to me. If anything it just warrants a replacement, the next model up wouldn't fix any of these issues if that's what you're thinking, as they're all prone to them, and apple knows that.

4. MacGeek7 macrumors 6502a

MacGeek7

5. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

I was thinking of just sending a letter to their address in Ireland I have heard this is where the people who can deal with this stuff quickly work? I was only thinking the model up becuse I thought it wouldent have the same probelms but if they all do then I dunno!

Thanks for you help guys!

6. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

well none of the issues you mentioned are model specific so there is no way a bump up would fix any of them.

however, call your local applecare and get it figured out through them, this is exactly the reason they have warranties.

7. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

In the end Apple refused to do a replacement of the machine and have sent it off to Group 8 (www.group8.com) to be repaired!

Just a few questions I thought some of you guys might know?

Has anyone had past experiences with Group 8 and do they do a good job?

I have been promised a week turn around time (MAX) but was wondering if that is accurate or if it usually takes longer?

I can't believe Apple would not exchange the unit but thats :apple: for you!

8. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

9. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

10. kolax macrumors G3

kolax

Mine has a clicking noise from the hard drive (chink like noise) when I move it - sudden motion sensor locking the hard drive I guess.

Never had that with my previous gen though. Would be interested to hear what others have to say on that issue.

11. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

Well it eventually started locking up or freezing just before it was taken away by UPS. The weaird thing is the repair center recieved my Macbook on monday (Yesterday and only today did the status change to appointment booked and repair pending which when you look it up on there website means;

Appointment scheduled-You've scheduled an appointment with an Apple Service Provider for service.
    Repair pending-Repair will begin shortly once the product has been received.

Weaird! It's why I think its going to be much longer than the week I was promised!

12. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

Update:

Last night I got a call from 'Group 8' stateing that they had lost all the data that was on the hard drive and would I like to pay £179 to get the hard drive back so I can pay a recovery company up to £1000 to get the information of it!

The guy also said that they had to replace the screen, top case, battery cover and keyboard as well as the Hard Drive!

I also had a call from a 'newbie' to Executive Relations today who said that 'Group 8' could not be held responsible for the data loss and that I will just have to wait until they were finished repairing the laptop until I get it back! He also re-stated I may not get an exchange on this item!

I am really annoyed it seems to be one thing after another!

I think as mentioned else where on these forums it really is about 'who' you get concerning how you get treated by Apple!

Annoying! I would suggest anyone with Hard Drive ticking gets it checked out before the same happens to you!

13. apolloa macrumors 604

apolloa

I'm in the UK and have spoken to different Apple agents and am waiting for my third laptop? Perhaps you didn't explain the fault clearly? I bet if you called Apple Care and told them the machine was locking up then they would of replaced it. Don't understand why it's not been replaced, is it a brand new Unibody MB Pro?

Also with regards to the data loss, just ask for your drive back but don't pay them for it as it's YOUR drive. But they cannot be held responsible for the data loss, it's in the terms and conditions of most company's.

14. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

I did mention all of the above and even got through to some 'really' unhelpful escilation person or Executive or somthing who stated they would not do a replacement! In regards to the data loss he says I have to pay for the drive and there is no other way around it!

I am hugely pissed off at apple! (and yes its a new Uni-body Macbook Pro)

15. jdaco6 thread starter macrumors regular

Is there any way forward or is that it from Apple? So much for having amazing customer care!

Double cheacked and I got to an 'Executive Relation' which reading on these forums is the highest person anyway I think.

16. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

You didn't back up your data before sending it off? Here in the States, the first thing the Genius Bar says before accepting the machine for repair is, "Did you back up the hard drive?". Things happen while opening up a machine and if you used Time Machine before shipping, all you would need to do is connect a cable between the machine and the external drive and retrieve the data.

If the machine was less than 14 days old, Apple would most likely replace it. After that period they can attempt to repair or replace at their discretion. Have a little patience and let them attempt to fix the problem.