new MacBook Pro purchase?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ejewels52, Dec 27, 2007.

  1. ejewels52 macrumors member

    Sep 3, 2006
    So, my PC S##t the bed today, and I've been holding off getting a new MacBook Pro because of rumors of an update. I guess I would like to know just how likely it is to see new ones within a month and if there will be a huge jump in technology. Anybody? Sorry if this has been discussed, i couldn't really find it...
  2. psychofreak Retired


    May 16, 2006
    Did you even look?

    Jan 15th there is MacWorld San Francisco where its very likely that there will be an update
  3. ejewels52 thread starter macrumors member

    Sep 3, 2006
    yes, i saw that...i guess i want to know if it will be a huge increase in technology...basically, i wanna know if its worth it to wait a month or 2, or to just get it now...
  4. heatmiser macrumors 68020

    Dec 6, 2007
    None of us can tell you this. The information on that page is the information we have. The only person who can decide if it's worth it is the person spending the money.
  5. Osprey macrumors 6502

    Jun 18, 2007
    In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
    If you need it buy now, if you don't then wait. I opted to buy my husband a new MBP even though I knew there was the likelihood of an update in January. The current one is an awesome machine and for me the possibility of s slightly faster machine just didn't seem all that important. Also I was a little concerned that the pricing might increase. Well not really that the pricing would increase as much as the educational discount might disappear or decrease. At any rate come January, I won't regret the decision because he is loving his new MBP and most importantly, he is using it.
  6. .:R2theT macrumors 6502

    Jul 1, 2007
    Yes. No. Maybe. We don't's in the FUTURE.

    They may introduce new MBPs that may not be available for weeks or months. They may introduce a new type of ProPortable that may not interest you. They may only introduce a new movie rental service through iTunes and the new beefed up :apple:TV that supports it so much better than the current offering. Or none of the above.

    If you need a machine you should buy one. That is what I am doing.
  7. palmerized macrumors regular

    Nov 15, 2007
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I don't think there will be *huge* speed increases announced, nor anything major in terms of the Macbook Pro. However, I'm not Steve Jobs, so I don't know.

    One thing to consider, there will always be something new. The new machines are awesome, and buy for now - not tomorrow. You may get a new one after Macworld but 6 months from now there will be another speed bump and yours will be old.

    I just got a new MBP and love it. I've come to accept that there will be something new just around the corner, but for me, this machine is MORE than good enough for what I need it for.
  8. Hmac macrumors 68020

    May 30, 2007
    Midwest USA
    Personally, I'm inclined to think that the only new portable machine will be the "ultraportable" Macbook and the the MacBook and MacBook Pros will be tweaked a little, at least the MBP, with the Penryn version of Core 2 Duo 2.8 ghz processors. A little faster, a little cooler, but still no DDR3 and still only 4mb level 2 cache. I'm guessin' we're talking about an incremental upgrade in January, not a redesign.


Share This Page