New Macbook Pro - Question About Storage Breakdown?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by NewYorkRanger, Nov 10, 2013.

1. NewYorkRanger macrumors regular

NewYorkRanger

Hey all,

I recently purchased a new macbook pro - it has a 1 TB SSD. It is a few days old.

I have no photos or audio on the machine, however, on the About this Mac -> Storage section, it says the following:

Audio - 658 MB
    Photos - 712.7 MB

I have no photos or videos saved on this machine? What does this space mean? I tried searching in Finder, and nothing is really showing up.

What is the storage breakdown on a fresh machine?

2. xspicer89x macrumors member

not sure what the storage breakdown on a fresh machine is but chances are those photos and audio are some of the stock things on the OS (ex: desktop images, screen saver images, all of the system audio--like notifications and different chimes and sound effects for the system and the apps).

For example, a quick look under the hood in finder (HD>Library>DesktopPictures) shows the stock desktop images alone are like 377MB (screensavers another 150--HD>Library>Screensavers), and if you just bought your macbook pro new chances are you have the ILife apps (iphoto imovie and garaband), all of which have sound effects (there's like 273MB for audio, and if you have finalcutpro there's another 460--HD>Library>Audio>AppleLoops>Apple).

Also, there's the audio impulse responses if you have installed programs like FinalCutPro, Logic, or other video or audio creation software..(I THINK, not 100% on this).

So i'm guessing its not entirely out of the ordinary to see that in about this mac.

Attached Files: