New MacBook Pro Question - URGENT, Thanks (re: Final Cut Pro)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by harmless64, Dec 11, 2007.

1. harmless64 macrumors newbie

All things considered, which upgrade would be better (for the purposes of running Final Cut Pro): an upgrade from a 160gb 5400 rpm hard drive to a 200 gb 7200 rpm hard drive OR an upgrade from 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo processor to a 2.6 GHz intel core 2 duo processor. I can't afford both, and am pulling my hair out trying to figure out which will do more for FCP, which system is better, etc.

The systems would be either 2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo w/ a 200 gb 7200 rpm hard drive OR a 2.6 GHz intel core 2 duo w/ a 160gb 5400 rpm hard drive. ALL OTHER THINGS BEINGS EQUAL, which is the better system for FCP?

I should mention that I also use a Lacie External d2 quadra -- firewire 800. For the project I'm currently working on (150 gigs of footage) -- and ultimately what I'm buying this system for, I don't think (right? atm I'm not entirely sure from where I'd run scratch, footage, and project files) I'd really use the 200 gb on its own.

On a 2.6GHz machine, will the 5400 rpm drive be the bottleneck? Or on a 2.4GHz machine, will the faster 7200 rpm hd lose out to a better processor?

Thanks. I appreciate it.

2. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

Processors aren't really upgradable and if your going to use a different disk than the internal for FCP then go for the 2.6Ghz.

3. Maldini macrumors regular

Maldini

Agree , because you will need an external HD sooner or later

4. Nakamura macrumors newbie

I don't use FCP (not yet, give me a few days. I will definately play with it when my :apple: MBP gets here) If your going to be doing all your work on firewire 800 drives, definately get the 2.6GHz upgrade. But I don't think the processor will be such a bottleneck for FCP, since it isn't using the processor as much, it will be using the GPU since it is rendering graphics? So you should get the hardrive upgrade.

5. harmless64 thread starter macrumors newbie

torn

from one other forum:

"I'd go for the faster, bigger hard drive as the difference between 2.4 and 2.6 will be negligible, but a 7200 rpm drive will make your system noticably speedier. Also FCS2 takes up quite a bit of hard drive space.."

"go for the faster drive. its worth it. and upgrade the ram aftermarket never from apple."

so that's 2:2
    processor:hd

anyway care to add more info? I'm completely torn. maybe it doesn't seem like a big deal, but I only get one system. thanks ...

6. wildwobby macrumors member

The graphics card has little to do with 2D graphics, it deals with 3D. The processor would be the much better option. As rendering and encoding is very processor intensive. However, it might be even better to upgrade to 4Gb of RAM (Not from apple), instead of either of your options.

7. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Definitely 2.4 with the 200GB 7200rpm drive. All of your apps & fcs content is most likely going to be stored on that drive. The faster drive will make the computer run much faster.

I've read some things about storing the project file on the internal drive while using the external for clips/scratch too. The 7200rpm will help with this.

2.4 vs 2.6 is going to be negligible. Honestly, unless you're going to be using a ****load of color and motion, you could save even more money going with the 2.2 (I have it, FCP runs great).

Depending on the codec/res of your project, 4GB of ram could be a huge help. However, if you're just using DV then 2GB will be good to start out if you want to save some money.

8. Nakamura macrumors newbie

If your going to be upgrading the ram I recomend you goto crucial.com (UK: crucial.com/uk), it is much cheaper there 1/4th of the cost in the UK that buying 4GB ram as a Apple Upgrade.

9. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

This is wrong. FCP and any mainstream editors that I know of use the processor for editing. GPU is only for display - the processor is doing the number crunching for encoding, etc... More modern programs like Aperture and Motion utilize the GPU, but not NLE's like FCP.

That being said, 7200 rpm drive for your system files/apps, + 4 Gigs of ram would be a lot more beneficial. A previous poster was correct about compressing/encoding taking a LOT of processing power, but the difference between dual cores running at 2.4 and 2.6 isn't going to be significant.

Trust me, the fast system drive will be a huge difference.

10. InLikeALion macrumors 6502a

Also, Crucial's direct sales aren't always cheep. Check some others too, like OWC (macsales.com) or Newegg.com (if your in the US, i guess).

11. BenJolene macrumors newbie

I assume you're talking about digital footage for FCP here. This is a bad practice and one you should stop ASAP. Nothing slows FCP down faster than forcing it to look in the same location for both your project and your media. Furthermore, if you're computer's HD goes bad, you have lost both your project and your media.

Recommendation for smooth sailing: 1. store projects locally on your computer 2. Store media to a separate, external HD and 3. If possible, backup your projects on a regular basis to a third location (this doesn't have to have a large capacity, since projects are rarely that huge).

12. feyn-man macrumors regular

Does a 7200 rpm HD really speed up a lot in W/R?
    I just feel that is not worthy. More rpm introduce more heat, which will short the life of battery and laptop I think.

13. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

That's what I said. By FCS content, I meant the Soundtrack loops, Livetype fonts, Motion templates.. the stuff that comes in the box on the dvds. Not the clips.

FCS Apps & Content on the internal drive
    Project files on internal drive & backed up.
    Capture/scratch on external