New Macbook Pro Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gjm87, Apr 3, 2014.

1. gjm87 macrumors member

Waiting for my new 13 rMBP to be delivered, and I had a few questions that I hope everyone can help me out. I am not looking to see if there is any problems with it, but am just curious to what be on the look out for. Here they are:

• How do I tell what kind of Disply I have, and how can I test to it make sure there is nothing wrong with it
    • How do I tell what kind of memory I have Sandisk or Samsung? I got 16gb so I am hoping Samsuing
    • Best app to track battery usage
    • Any other tips or tricks that I should know when I first start using this computer.
    • Also can I use the HDMI port to plug it into my TV as well as use my apple remote to control it?

Thank you all for your help!!

2. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

It's not the memory that is either Samsung or SanDisk, it's the SSD inside. If you open System Profiler and go to SATA devices, the SSD drive model will start with either SD (SanDisk) or SM (Samsung).

Coconut Battery is the best app for tracking battery health.

You can use HDMI to connect the rMBP to the TV, but the rMBPs lack an IR port, so the Apple Remote won't work.

3. gjm87 thread starter macrumors member

4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Assuming you ordered a 2013 model, I dont think the display should be any issue; the real issues were with the 2012 models. Even so, I will research how to determine this.

5. gjm87 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you! I ordered a custom built late 2013 one so I hope the display's are good on this.

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Did the regular MBP's have an IR port? I remember my ATV remote did control something, because it happened unintentionally for me me I tried controlling the ATV and something happened on my macbook as a result.

----------

Here is how to determine if its LG or Samsung:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/21863183#21863183

As for a test:
    Marco.org has an IR test. Essentially its a checkerboard. Leave it on the screen for 10-15 minutes without changing the page or letting the computer go to sleep, then after that time frame click the 'switch to grey' link. If you still see the checkerboard, you have an IR issue. If you dont, your screen is good.
    Link: http://www.marco.org/rmbp-irtest.html

7. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

They did, you could see where it was on the front bezel of the machine. I believe that Apple's Remote app gives you the same functionality over WiFi, but from your iPad/iPhone instead.

8. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

9. Helical-dNTP macrumors newbie

That's correct. It only works with the dGPU. To get display info on computers without the dGPU go to:
    system preferences ===> Displays ===> Colors Tab===> Open Profile ===> scroll to the bottom and click "mmod - Apple display make and model information" ===> use the model number to do a google search. Should come up with some info on who manufactured the display

10. Barney63 macrumors 6502a

Barney63

I believe the 0000A018 is Samsung and the 0000A020 is LG.

Barney

11. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I'd like to answer the 1st question.

Look at it. Watch a movie on it.

Does it look good?

Enjoy it.

Can you not see the movie? Return it.