New MacBook Pro Question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jclapp, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jclapp macrumors newbie

Hello,

Argh!! This always happens to me.... I bought a new MacBook Pro three weeks ago, and just saw that Apple has released updated systems. I buy a new system every 3-4 years, and felt it was a good time to upgrade when I did. Mine is the 2.2ghz MBP w/ 4gb of ram, and 128mb of video memory.

Do you know how much of an improvement the new systems are? Is it substantial enough for me to kick myself?

Thanks!

Justin :)

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

nah, stick with the one you got, unless you really wanted multitouch

3. iCeFuSiOn macrumors 6502a

I've got the same system as you except for the RAM, and from what I've heard you honestly won't see much of an improvement as far as performance. Yes, you will have a slightly faster processor and some more video RAM, but other than that all that was really changed was the default hard drive size and the multi touch trackpad (remember, your current trackpad already has multi touch, otherwise it wouldn't be able to have two finger scrolling -- I believe there is a piece of software available to enable gestures with these trackpads as well). I wouldn't kick yourself over it, your computer will still be as good as it was yesterday and it will still last you for quite some time.

4. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

I'd say the LED backlit 17" High Def screen and the multi touch pad are the only significant changes. (I know there are others, but that's why I'm glad I waited - he other stuff wouldn't of upset me to miss out on.)

5. tip macrumors 6502

tip

If your current laptop suits you, what does it really matter?

Seriously - there's way too many whiners (or fanboys) that want the latest and greatest thing for no reason other than having the latest and greatest thing. It's best to be happy with what you have and not get caught up in that mindset.

Besides, when you finally do upgrade down the road, it'll be more current than what was released today.

6. digitalpencil macrumors 6502

digitalpencil

Agreed, a 2mb L2 cache bump and 512mb VRAM aside, there's not much difference between the new & older gen.
    There's currently no software that can enable multi-touch however, and it is very unlikely that Apple will release any. However, we may see a 3rd party app, something similar to iScroll2 which delivered two-finger scrolling to older iBook's/PB's.

7. skierdb526 macrumors regular

I would have loved to get one of the new ones. Why didnt I wait is what im now thinking because i had the money and bought a new one a month ago. Grr.

8. himansk macrumors regular

the new multitouch is different from the old one, it is hardware based using the same chip as in the iphone, so I dont think it can be enabled in software...

9. El Phantasmo macrumors member

if your car does all you need it to do, will you trade it in for a faster car just because it is available? will you do it again once a newer/faster model is available the next year? and the year after that?

i think answering those questions will give you some perspective regarding your MBP...