New MacBook Pro Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Skittllez, May 27, 2010.

1. Skittllez macrumors newbie

Hey Mac Rumors!

I just purchased a base model i5 Macbook Pro last night and got everything setup this afternoon! I had an iMac and thought having an on the go machine would be excellent! It works amazing so far!

So far, I have transferred some school work files and some applications via an external harddrive.

Few questions here, any help would be awesome!

1. How do I transfer iTunes, iMovie and iPhoto libraries?
    2. The computer was very hot when I was lying on my bed, but I moved it to my desk and it's running normal temperature... Is that expected?
    3. Any problems with this method: I fully charged, took it off the charger and installed everything and such. I will let it drain... Will that be "calibrated"?
    4. Finally, any recommended applications I can download for free for miscellaneous stuff?

Thank you very much for your time,

Skittllez.
    Any help would be much appreciated,

Thanks!

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

1. Don't bother with doing things manually. If you want ALL of your files and settings to be transferred, connect the two macs via ethernet or firewire cables and use Migration Assistant.
    2. The vent is on the back under the display. Don't block it. Bedding will block it...
    3. That works.

3. Skittllez thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay thanks, but I plan on doing it manually as there are many files other than libraries that I do not want on this computer..

So how do I go around copying whole libraries?

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

4. A couple of apps you should get are:

SMC Fan Control (allow you to control your Mac's fans and tells you the temp of your machine).

Caffiene for Mac (allows you to stop your Mac from going to sleep.

Both apps are free, and just look em up in Google to download them.