New MacBook Pro Replacement!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacintoshMaster, Mar 23, 2011.

1. MacintoshMaster macrumors 6502

MacintoshMaster

As some of you may know, in 2009 I got the first gen of the uni-body of the MacBook pro 2.9ghz. Since I have had the computer the Super drive has failed 5 times, battery, keyboard and not running as well as it use to. On the 5th time of sending it to group 8 ( people who apple use) it came back with the case all warped and damaged ( they had to put a new one on for some reason and new keyboard) so I rang apple up and sent it back. Then yet again it came back with problems - the bottom panel didn't fit properly and the lights on the keyboard didn't work so apple give me replacement. The replacement is the new one with thunderbolt 15 inch 2.2ghz. It was hard to sort this problem out with apple.

Its coming through the post today and can't wait! What do I use the thunderbolt for?

2. CraiginPA215 macrumors newbie

How frustrating. I didn't realize MBP's could be so unreliable, but I guess inside all mobile computers are build from pretty much the same components. Congrats, though, on them making it worth the pain by giving you the current model.

The Thunderbolt port also serves as the DisplayPort port. Other than that, there's no devices using Thunderbolt yet. By the end of there year there should be some (like a Lacie dual-SSD RAID array), maybe some other things, and probably adapters for USB3.0 and eSATA devices. FWIW, Thunderbolt devices are supposed to be strung in series rather than all connected to a hub (some people prefer hubs, some prefer in-series).

FYI, some MBP2011 owners have reported trouble with external DVI and HDMI displays (via DisplayPort-to-DVI/HDMI cable) not waking up after coming out of a power-saving sleep (when allowed to time-out to that state rather that being manually put in that state). It's a fair guess that it should be fixable via software eventually. See other threads for that topic.