New Macbook Pro retina - case creaking sound

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jim L, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Jim L macrumors regular

Hi all,

I'm a new rMBP owner, but have been a Mac user for several years.

I have read others have problems with noise/clicking on their unit, but those seem to come from the hinge.

My sound is from the lower half of the case shell itself. It is more like a flexing noise. Sometimes it happens when I just put my wrist on the right side of the blank area near the track-pad.

Does anyone else get this? It doesn't sound like anything is loose or broken, but is an odd sound. I'll have to see if it gets worse.

2. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

3. bkribbs macrumors 65816

4. Xerotech macrumors 6502

5. MacReloaded macrumors 6502

MacReloaded

The bottom plate creaked on my 2012 model when I carried it until the bottom plate was reinstalled during a repair.

6. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

No sound on my late 2012 13". Either from the hinge or the speakers.

7. ducatiti, Aug 9, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2013

ducatiti macrumors 6502a

ducatiti

I believe only the 15 inch retinas are prone to this problem. Just purchase a pentalobe screwdriver from Amazon or Ebay. Loosen the screws a bit and tighten evenly to reseat the bottom cover. The creaking will be gone after doing so.

I had a brand new 15 inch retina last year which had the same problem. Brought it to a genius to fix the creaking. When I got it back, the black rubber feet were all scuffed up and the screws were rounded.

So my advice is to try to fix it yourself.

8. Jim L thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot. I'll give that a try and report back.

9. surroundfan, Aug 11, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2013

surroundfan macrumors 6502

...And when re-seating the bottom case, don't strip the screws like I did! ;)

If there is a slight squeak when you press the back half (towards the hinge) slightly off centre, that will be the grounding pins on the logic board. I noticed that when I had the bottom case off, they squeaked loudly the first few times I pressed them. As they loosened, they became less squeaky. Once the bottom case was reseated properly (i.e. not my poor effort), the squeaks and creaks were hardly noticable.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4108642 has a photo of the culprits...

A video demonstrating the sort of noise I had (posted by someone else): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYuioWEYc0A&feature=youtu.be

If the creak comes from the front half of the case, it may be that the glue holding the battery in situ has become unstuck...

10. darcmasta macrumors newbie

darcmasta

If I paid close to 3k for a laptop, I would be pissed if it was scratched or stripped by someone other than myself; specifically Apple repair services. :x

11. bkribbs macrumors 65816

If its stripped screws I would just make them replace them. Scratch would be the same actually.

12. Shmanky macrumors regular

I stripped some of the screws using a pentalobe screwdriver trying to solve the creaking problem. Then I brought it in to the Genius Bar and somehow they magically removed the stripped screws. I have no idea how they were able to do that.