New MacBook Pro Retina or Mac Pro for Video Editing

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Joel M, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Joel M macrumors newbie

Joel M

Hi everyone,

I currently have an early 2011 MBP with a 2.2 GHZ i7, 8 GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, and AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1024 MB.

I use my computer every day for HD and sometimes RAW 2.5k video editing in Adobe Premiere, After Effects, and also frequently simultaneously edit high-resolution 16-bit images in Photoshop and Lightroom. I also use a 27" 2560x1440 display with my MBP in clamshell mode and sometimes side by side.

Right now I get a considerable amount of lag when rendering video. I need to be able to do all of the above tasks simultaneously and fluidly. Would the increased processor speed, and the NVIDEA graphics with 2GB VRAM in the new MBP will help significantly since it supports CUDA processing, unlike my AMD? Or do I need to hold/shell out for the new Mac Pro with Dual D300s and 4GB VRAM and the 3.7 GHZ Xeon E5?

2. koban4max macrumors 68000

is there any difference between early and late 2011 model when it comes to rendering? that's what i wanted to know...

3. dylin macrumors 6502a

dylin

Just for the sake of having enough power without compromise, i would say that the mac pro would suit your needs more. You didn't mention that you needed a portable machine, so i think that the mac pro would suit your needs well.

Just make sure that you purchase the mac pro with the need specifications because we all know that is doesn't allow for internal upgrades.

Good luck to you

4. nitromac macrumors 6502

If you don't need the portability the Mac Pro will be leagues ahead of the new rMBP in your applications.

5. Benk3350 macrumors member

I had the same situation as you. I was deciding between getting the rMBP or the new Mac Pro. I video edit as well.

I felt that portability and being able to bring my editing station from place to place is pretty important to me. The new Mac Pro is incredibly small for the power, but you still have the separate monitor to bring around, a keyboard, mouse, and cables. So I went for a maxed out rMBP.

Cost me around the same. The Mac Pro starts at 3 grand and I spent around 3 grand on the laptop. Mine arrives on tuesday so I don't know for sure if I made the right decision, but I think I did.

Part of the reason I went with the laptop was that, while the Mac Pro was impressive, I felt like all the money went to areas that weren't as important to me. I don't really need 2 GPU's for editing. 1 one of those firepros would be more than enough, and since they come standard with 2, you are forced to buy 2 essentially. The 3 grand also comes with just 256gb, so if I wanted more which I did, I would need to shell out even more.

For editing, I needed a top end CPU, a ton of space, and a decent enough GPU. The Mac Pro had the CPU for sure, but not enough space, and overkill on the video. I felt I would be paying for more than I ever need and lacking in places that I needed as well.

With the macbook, I got the top CPU possible, the 2.6 i7 quad core, a terabyte of SSD, and a GPU that can handle editing and isn't overkill. Also got the 16gb over the 12gb on the Mac Pro.

I ended up getting a system with a great CPU, more space, more RAM, and a retina display. All for the same price as the mac pro. It's also a system thats portable. So those were my reasons.

I'm sure you will be happy with either system though. With the right config, they both have the ability for whatever you want. I just went with what I thought was more bang for my buck.

6. artguy3d macrumors member

I'm pretty much right with Benk3350 - just haven't bought it yet. But may wait to hear final pricing for various Mac Pro configurations.