New MacBook Pro Retina won't turn on for the first use

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by vmflapem, Jan 9, 2014.

1. vmflapem macrumors 6502

I just bought a new 13" MacBook Pro Retina from Apple Store, and the laptop is being very weird.
    Here are some symptoms:

1. This laptop won't turn on using the battery for its first use. The battery was at 0% when I checked it. (I thought all new products have about 50% battery)

2. The plastic thing used to cover the power adapter has a lot of fingerprints.

3. The screen randomly shut off for ~30 seconds while I was doing the initial setting (assigning user name and password, to be accurate)

4. It has a small black scratch beside the trackpad where the palm rest is.

OK, I can pretend like I don't care about the scratch. But are 1, 2, and 3 normal..??

2. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

No for all, but if it's working now I don't think it's a big deal. The only one I'd worry about is #3. Is there any chance the screen shut off because you accidentally bumped the power button? I know I sometimes do it when I'm trying to hit the delete button.

3. vmflapem thread starter macrumors 6502

For #3, my hands were away from the keyboard for 20 seconds and the screen shut off by itself.
    Then, I try pressing all sorts of different keys, but the screen doesn't come back on. I then tried the power button, but still the screen is off.

The screen comes back on automatically after about 30 seconds and then the computer freezes.

Do you think I should get a replacement?

----------

Also, I purchased this from the Apple Store (offline).
    I called them and they asked me if I wanted to see one of the technicians for a solution before I decide to return this.

Does Apple always provide refunds as long as it's within the 14-day window for any reason?

4. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Your call, it very well could be a one time thing. Apple should let you return it for any reason for 14 days. I doubt it's serious, but if it is, it's not 14 days, it's under warranty 1 year (or more if you got AppleCare).

5. Beezy253 macrumors 6502

6. cyberbro macrumors member

cyberbro

These machines are way to much money not to be satisfied with the purchase, return for an other.

7. Anya B macrumors 6502

Anya B

Got my Macbook today and if I had the same issues as you I would return it. No question about it.

8. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Yep, return it. Even a trackpad scratch isn't really acceptable OOB.

Unfortunately things do sometimes go wrong in manufacturing - you won't have any problem getting an exchange.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The batteries are supposed to have 50% charge, but that can vary. The fact that it was scratched, had fingerprints, and randomly flickers makes me believe it was an opened Mac. I would bring it back and do a return and not a Genius appointment.