New MacBook Pro runs 10 degrees celsius hotter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MrCooperS, Aug 2, 2010.

1. MrCooperS macrumors member

My one month old 15" i7 MacBook Pro had a couple freezes. 1 gray screen and a couple instant freezes to be exact. I backed it up with time machine and made an appointment with the Genius Bar. The Genius didn't really find the problem but notice the machine "wasn't happy" with a couple applications; so the genius and the manager swapped it out for the another MacBook Pro (w/ the same specs). I just restored the new MacBook Pro from Time Machine and with iStat Pro, I noticed the CPU and GPU runs about 7 to 10 degrees Celsius hotter than my previous MacBook Pro. Is this normal or should I be concerned? Maybe I just haven't "broken" it in yet. I'll give it a week and see if the temp still runs higher.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

If you posted a screenshot of your temps, that would be helpful to determine if they are normal or not.

3. MrCooperS thread starter macrumors member

I don't have a previous screenshot to compare it to.

The weird part is, when I run Starcraft II, the new MacBook Pro runs about 5 to 7 degrees Celsius cooler. :p

4. Spartan-117 macrumors newbie

Spartan-117

maby you just have some background updates going on or some background processes such as indexing, they tie up the cpu quite badly. download some tools to view the temp and fan speed then you can compare it with other 15" i7 owners.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Well can you give a range of temps that you have been getting?

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Your old MacBook Pro, I'm assuming, was a Core 2 Duo variant? IIRC, didn't the initial/original reviews of the iCore MacBook Pro's state that they did run hotter than the previous generation (that being the Core 2 Duo)?

So if it's 7 to 10 degrees celsius warmer, I would think based on the review that it's perfectly normal?

7. MrCooperS thread starter macrumors member

Just to clarify so there is no confusion. Both MacBook Pros were the same hardware and software. I returned the old i7 MacBook Pro due to freezes and got a new one, which is the exact same spec (15" i7 4GB RAM 500GB 5.4K HD HR AG). I restored it with Time Machine so it's essentially the same hardware and software. From my observation:

(old 15" i7) Running: Safari, Mail, Calendar and iChat, the fans run under 2K RPM and the CPU is anywhere from 44 to 47 degrees celsius.

(old 15" i7) Running: StarCraft II and Mail, the fans go up to 5.5K RPM and the CPU is anywhere from 85 to 87 degrees celsius.

(new 15" i7) Running: Safari, Mail, Calendar and iChat, the fans run under 2K RPM and the CPU is anywhere from 54 to 56 degrees celsius.

(new 15" i7) Running: StarCraft II and Mail, the fans go up to 4K RPM and the CPU is anywhere from 73 to 76 degrees celsius.

Also, it isn't updating anything in the background nor is it indexing. I observe my temps pretty frequently because my old 4 year old MacBook use to reach up to 81 degrees c running just Safari. I'll give it another week and see if the temps run a bit cooler with the applications I usually use (Safari, Mail, Calendar and iChat)

On another note, I just checked the serial number on this MacBook Pro and it shares the same birthday as me :cool::p