New Macbook Pro Screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Makaveli6103, Jun 8, 2009.

1. Makaveli6103 macrumors 6502

So they updated the 15in MBP....if I have applecare and want a replacement because of the crappy screen, do I get a new MBP??

2. aethelbert macrumors 601

They can fix your screen. If for some reason they choose not to, they'll have refurbished ones.

3. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

No. They'll give you an old one. You bought an "old spec" computer, and according to Apple, your old screen will be operating within that spec. You won't be given a new one.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

5. buckeye17 macrumors member

The 15in MBP has a better screen now? I read that on a liveblog, but I thought it was already one of the best available, so I was confused.

6. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Yeah, the new new models have a wider gamut screen.

7. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

even with the new screen i still dont regret waiting to buy mine. the now prev gen 13"MB ppl are the ones i feel sorry for. they finally get the firewire 800. other than that im glad i have the express slot rather than the SD slot.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Agreed. MacBook Pro users got minor upgrades which still fell within it's name/line but it was the MacBook line that got a surprisingly big upgrade.

9. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Just because you have AppleCare and a crappy screen does not mean they'll give you a new computer just because you ask for it.

10. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i mean dont you think that the 15" kind of got a downgrade by getting rid of the express slot?!

11. Makaveli6103 thread starter macrumors 6502

I guess the mian question is will the replace my old screen with a screen from the new MBP that have 60% better gamut??

12. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

wouldnt hold out for it. but it never hurts to ask. be friendly but firm.

13. paintball312 macrumors member

As well as losing dedicated graphics on the low-end, and down too 256 VRAM on the mid-end(Which really isn't much of a downgrade, but still.) The new screen does certainly seem to be the best upgrade!

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

i just think giving a matte option would have been better. or both would have been the best. i would love to see the "old" screen v the new screen.

15. MVApple macrumors 6502a

thats wierd, I haven't seen any annoucement of a new screen.

16. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

I'm just wondering how bad the old screen was if they have room for a 60% gamut increase. I wonder how much of Adobe RGB, NTSC, etc. this new display covers.

17. MVApple macrumors 6502a

Ok so I looked around a bit more and yes, I see the 60% gamut increase over previous generations. Does previous generations include the late 2008 model? Or maybe just the last generation?

18. thiagos macrumors 6502

thiagos

Does the 60% Gamut increase also applies for the 17" model or just the 15"?

19. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

20. pufftissue macrumors regular

I reckon the screen is the same quality as the ones in the 17" unibody macbook pro that you can already see in the stores.

I personally didn't think that that screen was any better or worse than the 15" screen. So it will be interesting to see if the new 15" screen really is different and better.

21. delude macrumors 6502

How about the 8gigs of RAM? That is attractive to me as I have a 2.4ghz Unibody MBP. I have been told by numerous Apple employees that it will only ever support 4gb RAM :(

22. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

Firstly, no. They will not replace your screen. Even if they do replace it, it will be for one of the "old type" screens. End of story. Apple will not put a new model screen in an old model laptop, ever.

Dedicated graphics hasn't been lost on the low end. The 15" MBP line used to be two models - 256MB and 512MB VRAM models. We still have that, but they've added the 9400M only model on below. In essence, there's actually even MORE choice for users. My 2008 512MB VRAM machine matches up to the new top end 15", which exactly matches where it was in the lineup when I bought it. There's been no loss, but a gain.

We now have 3 15" machines rather than 2.

23. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

yea the 17" already has the wider gamut.

24. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    It has never been my experience that Apple will replace your machine with a refurbished machine as others have said. The warranty confers three options (the three Rs), repair, replacement, refund. If they replace, they replace with a brand new unit as far as I know. Whether they R, R, or R, is at Apple's discretion (per the warranty). Where you get into wiggle room is when you ask them why they are deciding to repair instead of replace for example. They will give you a reason, you can ask if that's a standard reason, if it's an internal rule that isn't made public, etc. Once you get them talking about the internal rules (there are none, there are guidelines), you are in a good position. From that point you veer the conversation toward saying, Ok so I understand that my warranty gives me R, R, or R, and based on internal criteria which sound vague and I"m not privy to, you'd like to do X. Well I think moving forward it would be better for me to do a replacement. If they say they can't, don't be surprised, just say OK, I understand, the only problem with that is that I would still like to move forward with a replacement. If you create a reality in which that is the only option, it becomes their only option. If it comes to it you can say, based on our conversation it doesn't sound like you can help this move forward, I'll speak to someone now who can, and then say, can you connect me to that person. You never have to be rude. You simply have to be in a reality where the outcome is already pre-determined. And of course you need a reason of why you need it to be replaced versus repaired, for example, the repaired machine will never have the same integrity as if it had never had to be opened to be repaired and I won't be able to trust it moving forward.

25. slicecom macrumors 68020

You obviously didn't take a look at them side by side. The difference between the current 17" and the 15"/13" is night and day.

I just wish they bumped up the resolution on the 15" and 13" to match the PPI of the 17". The 17" screen is in a class of its own.