New MacBook Pro setup what to buy...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gobbypower, Oct 4, 2008.

1. gobbypower macrumors newbie

gobbypower

Ok first off, yes, I know steve has a keynote on oct. 14th so of course I'm going to wait to make my final decision. This will be MY first mac, my dad has a iMac 24" 3.0ghz tricked out, but this is my personal first. Anyways, im looking at the 15" model MBPs, and i dont know if the 500 bucks is worth the .1 ghz ha. I also want to double screeen it, but dont want it outragously larger than the mbp. So the 23" apple makes would be good. however, on cnet, they just gave dell's similar HD flatpanel LCD 24" monitor the editors choice, and its cheaper and has a larger screen. But apple's cinemas are hott. Also, mice and keyboard wise, I really think the mighty mouse looks stunning, but its not that comfortable to hold after a couple of hardcore wowers (wow hours). I was looking at the mx revolution by logitech i think, and its really comfortable, wireless, and a great scroll bar. But it has a usb plug in for the wireless router :(. But i still really like it. Also, for keyboards, I like the wireless from apple, but am digging the usb hubs on the wired apple. and for cases for the MBP i liked incases well done website, so ill probably stick with them. But idk if i should get the purple hardcase shell or the leather sleeve. and any other extras i should get.... post. thanks and wow this is a long post. ha.

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Whoa. My head spins.

Pass on the mighty mouse. They don't mix well with cheetoes.

3. gobbypower thread starter macrumors newbie

gobbypower

ha. mmmm.... cheetoes. yea do you like the mx revolution tho?

4. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

Probably not, unless you're doing a lot of processor-intensive work extremely often where every second counts.

At one time, the ACDs and Dells used the same panel. I would go with the Dell - they're cheaper and might have additional inputs.

I have the wireless keyboard and the wireless mouse and they're fine for me. For me, the wireless dongle for the Logitech is a deal breaker, but if you don't mind it I think that's a better choice. Also, the USB ports on the keyboard aren't fully powered - so you can't use them to charge/sync an iPod or iPhone or for most flash drives.

Incase's cases are the best. Cases are 100% personal preference, so I can't help you there.

One extra I would buy is a second power adapter. Keep one at your desk and keep one in your laptop case. That way, the one at your desk can be hidden nicely and you won't have to move your desk or whatever to take it with you.

5. sangosimo Guest

sangosimo

don't waste your time on the ACD or the mighty mouse. Get the a dell 2407 and a mx518.

6. gobbypower thread starter macrumors newbie

gobbypower

thanks thats helped alot....but more oppinions please. So the dell over the acd and ur remark about breaking the pure apple by getting the logitech mouse... the monitor would break it too, so i guess I either go ACD and mighty mouse, or logitech and dell 24". and what about speakers? are the MBPs altec lansing powerful enough or should i upgrade to some harmon/kardon soundsticks or other?

7. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

For speakers, get a 2.1 set from Altec Lansing, Logitech, or JBL if you're looking for decent audio quality.

The built-in speakers are fantastic for a laptop (at least from what I've seen) but they're horrible compared to real speakers.

8. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

I'd recommend the Bose speakers on Apple's website for about 100 personally. The MacBook Pro's and PowerBook's speakers are awesome for a notebook, but external speakers are better. ACD's are insanely overpriced, go with a Dell monitor and save some cash.

9. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

If you want a color accurate monitor, go for the ACD since you don't have to guess at what panel is being used.

The dell isn't bad, but it's more for those users that don't need to do color specific task.

Yes... the mighty mouse is kind of not needed. The scroll ball ruins the entire concept.

The wireless keyboard is a bigger joke than the MM. If you don't need the number pad then it's okay ONLY if you want to pay $80 for a crappy plastic wireless keyboard that will kill your wrists during short use.

10. gobbypower thread starter macrumors newbie

gobbypower

ok... i kinda need a big bass though, so how do the bose do for that? if not so hot, would harmon kardon soundsticks ll pay the bill?

11. gobbypower thread starter macrumors newbie

gobbypower

k thanks... then what keyboard and mouse do you reccon? mx revolution?

12. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

hehe. I haven't used the mx, but I'm very fond of Kensington's Si670m Bluetooth mouse. Very smooth and very responsive.

13. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

I would honestly recommend anything seriously. If you want to keep it all Apple you can find one of the previous gen keyboards. As for Mice the MX is okay, but it's more of an over-priced commodity than the ACD. It just feels really good.

For those that say the ACD is over-priced, please check the specs, we don't want to give the OP false information.

14. gobbypower thread starter macrumors newbie

gobbypower

ha whats OP an acronem for? and y get a previous gen apple keyboard? cheaper? and do you know if dell's monitor (24" HD) has fully functional 4 usb ports or are they watered down like on the apple keyboard.

15. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Original Poster = OP

The older keyboard is not bad, it's better than the newer one though. Just mentioning it if you wanted to remain all Apple. But for the most part any USB keyboard will work.

The 24" Dell has a USB hub in the back and devices can draw full power from it. The one on the Apple keyboard is terrible! :D

I don't know much about the new 24" Dell, just that it's a TN panel which is the worst you can get.

16. gobbypower thread starter macrumors newbie

gobbypower

17. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I would too. And go for the refurbed one - if there were stuck pixels, somebody already sent it back for them to be repaired. :p

18. Digital Skunk macrumors 604

Digital Skunk

Not really, just make sure you are getting a good (various MVA or IPS) panel. The only issue I have with Dell is finding out which models have which panels, and sometimes Dell with use both MVA, TN, and IPS in the same model.

IPS panels cost more, but provide higher color accuracy and the best image quality. MVA panels are great for color accuracy to a certain extent, are cheaper, and are great for the best image possible for gaming and TV viewing.

TN panels, which are the most abundant... suck. They are great for anything not color specific, but after a while, they just go bad for one reason or another.

The ACDs use previous gen IPS panels, but are still top notch compared to the newer IPS models that cost more than the ACDs. The 23" and 30" ACDs use S-IPS panels and are HD, while the 20" uses a previous gen IPS. The 24" iMac is so far the only panel I know that Apple uses with the current H-IPS panel.

19. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

HK's aren't going to be the best sounding for the price. In terms of computer speakers:
    Swan M10 (Yes, you may have never heard of them, but search this forum or around the web - really are probably the best 2.1s)
    Altec Lansing FX6021 (About the same prices as the Harmon Kardon's, however, they are going to sound much better and match your Macbook Pro much better then the iMac Lamp style speakers)

Or some low-end studio monitors from either M-Audio or Behringer

20. chill. macrumors 6502

unless you'll be moving all over the room, i strongly advise against a wireless mouse/keyboard

having to constantly replace batteries in these things is a huge pain in the ass. i have a generic dell keyboard (though i really like the looks of the apple keyboard) and a logitech mx518 mouse