New MacBook Pro, several options, need advice!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by confistimicated, Jul 18, 2010.

1. confistimicated macrumors newbie

Hello all,
    I have a slight dilemma at the moment. I'm currently serving overseas in Afghanistan, and I am using my MacBook. The poor thing is on its last legs, I have had it for three years and it has been my trusted companion, never letting me down (apart from one defunct battery). The case is starting to fall apart (a common problem with my model apparently) but that just adds to the character.

However, even though I love it very much, I feel that it is time to move on to a newer and younger model (I'm sure many men understand where I'm coming from).

Whilst I'm out here in Afghanistan, Amazon.co.uk have a wonderful arrangement whereby I can claim back the VAT on anything shipped to me out here, and they have a very nice discount along their Mac line up (a hefty 10% +) HOWEVER! I cannot customise the MacBook Pro, which I would quite liked to do.

The final dilemma that I face is that I cannot for the life of me decide between the 13" MacBook Pro, and the 15" MacBook Pro. I have had a 13" MacBook for a while now, and it is starting to seem a little cramped on the screen, it doesn't do too well when I'm reading things on a tiny screen all the time. But the benefit of this nice small laptop is that it fits perfectly, and I mean PERFECTLY, into my motorcycle tank bag. I have no other transport than my trusted steed, Scarlett as I named her, and space is at a premium.

Ok maybe not the final dilemma, I need to combine true portability, with the screen space for helping me see all my notes whilst I'm writing my book, I'd quite like a more powerful processor to help when I do my casual video and photo editing, nice graphics for my casual gaming habit, and I don't know whether to get the financial bargain whilst I'm over here, or get a truly perfect machine with the customisation available if I buy back at home?

Can anyone else see why I need some advice? ;)

If this is all too much to digest in one go, I will happily break it down for you into more manageable chunks.

Many thanks, and regards,
    Adam :apple:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It looks like you really want the 15" so pull the trigger. 13" would be just fine but the resolution is greater in 15", especially if you get the hi res version (I'm sure Amazon has it as well). It's up to you, if the extra resolution is that important, then get the 15" but I find the 13" being just fine