New Macbook PRO sold with faulty Nvidia chip

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by trueblue53, Dec 1, 2008.

1. trueblue53 macrumors newbie

From an email I sent to sjobs@apple.com:

Hi Steve,

Just to vent my frustration, a quick note to you. Sixteen days ago, I took a deep breath and paid 2600 dollars for a new 15'' Macbook PRO. Since I come from the PC world, I spent the better part of two weeks getting acquainted with this type of hardware. This weekend, I did something that I had been wondering about for days... 'how do I switch between the installed graphical processors?'. It transpired that I had to go to the "Energy Saver" control panel and make a selection there. Funny thing is, I had never seen this option in this particular Control Panel, or anywhere else. I then checked the hardware of my Mac and lo and behold... only the 9400M chip was listed, no 9600 to be seen.

Obviously, I went back to the Apple store. Since I'm two days late in noticing this hardware failure, I don't qualify for the 'DOA policy'. Instead, Apple Technical Service offered me to repair the motherboard. This could take 'a week or so'. Or more.. Since my laptop is my workstation, I'm now scrambling for a replacement desktop at our school. I have this feeling I've been let down. I believed in what your products stand for and paid handsomely for the privilege. It now appears I was sold a faulty product and I'm treated poorly. It certainly feels that way.

Thanks for listening.

regards,
    Erik Coolen,
    The Netherlands

2. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

did you select the other gpu and then log off and then back on as required?

3. Azagar macrumors member

Azagar

You sure it wasn't a normal MacBook? :p I kid, Well it doesn't actually say the card names. All it says is better battery life or higher performance.

4. trueblue53 thread starter macrumors newbie

There was no other CPU. It was sold to me with only one chip (9400) working. I'm now waiting fo a new motherboard.

5. jhu2 macrumors member

So how did the repair go?

I think I'm in the same boat as you. The selection for the which chip seems to be flaky, it disappears sometimes. And last night, the 9600 decides to flake out as well. Every time I turn it on, it shows these vertical lines all across the screen, rendering it useless. I have to wait till after finals to go home, send it off to apple hoping they will either replace it or fix the issue, knowing apple these days, its going to be a long repair.

6. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I have had the same thing happen in the past. Apple sticks very closely to that 14 return/replace window. Once that period has passed, you are unfortunately looking at only a repair. I'm sure others have had luck getting their computer's replaced of course, but it is not standard procedure for Apple.

You naturally assume that the computer is perfect and everything is in working order when you get it. One almost needs to do a complete evaluation of all of the system components the moment they get these things......

You could call Customer Service, they may be able to help, but unfortunately you are probably looking at a repair.

Let us know how things turn out. Good Luck......

7. trueblue53 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi James,

Well... my motherboard was replaced after ample testing prior to installation. I took it in on monday, friday afternoon around 5, I got my MBP back. From what I can tell, I have two processors now and the new one seems to be working. By the way, I notice that my screen flashes, every once in a while. You noticed that with yours?

Another thing... sunday evening I happened to peek at the bottom of the MBP. There should be four screws, however there were only three in mine. The fourth hole was empty. So I'll contact the Repair Center again today and see what they have to say. The saga continues..

Good luck with your finals.. and good luck with Apple.
    erik

8. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

Guys, the OP is in The Netherlands. Unless he bought the MBP at an Apple certified repair store, ask him how his repair went in another 2-3 weeks...

9. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

I fail to see how you feel you were treated unfairly, or improperly by Apple. You got a defective product, and they had it all fixed up within the week. Seems like everything went rather well.

10. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

Well, I guess his point is that the machine was essentially brand new and defective out of the box, and that he wanted a new and perfect machine. But b/c he didn't notice the defect until after the 14 day return period, he had to 'settle' for a repair instead of a replacement.

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I agree. It would seem to me that they did the right thing.
    I'm sorry but how is it unfair or inappropriate to send a new item in for repair past the 14 day period and have it fixed? So it was not a new machine, there's no reason to have a new machine when it was fixed rather swiftly and easily.

And e-mailing Steve Jobs is an ineffective way of dealing with things. This kid seems to be looking for more than compensation for his "troubles".

12. MH01 Suspended

MH01

yeah i agree with that. Seems you have 14 days to "test" everything on your machine to make sure it works. After that it gets fixed. In theory everything should work out of the box. Seems something like the 9600 not working is a big oversight. I wonder if any testing is done once the machine is put together.

Apple is great with its customer care, but it seems alot of issues can be caught early in QA and frankly save apple money.

13. trueblue53 thread starter macrumors newbie

To those who state that I was treated nicely by Apple, I can honestly say that paying up to 2600 dollars for a product that from the onset had an important part missing (the graphical processor) didn't feel good. I felt 'let down', more than anything else. Like... how can a brand that we all cherish for it's quality be so negligent? It was that sort of disappointment..

Anyway, I went back a second time since a scew was missing from the bottom plate after they installed a new motherboard. I then also told them about the vertical 'stripes' I noticed on the screen when I looked at it from sideways... the guy took the MBP with him, came back after ten minutes or so and offered me a brand new MBP. They are official resellers so he said he'll have to defend his decision with Apple but he sounded confidently. He said that my experience with the brand had not been the customer experience Apple was after. Hence his offer.

I'll pick it up on thursday.

So there you are. Bottomline? I'm a happy camper, no doubt about that. It restored most of my faith in the brand and the quality Apple seeks. I'll leave it at that. I turned the page, start from scratch, see what happens.. :)