Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

1=1?

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
I will respond to your specific concerns that I have never been in a professional audio setting where they did not have every form of connector I've ever needed, and they are particularly well prepared for Apple devices. I have never been without a needed cable in a pro audio environment, or even an amateur one. As far as the headphone jack is concerned, I feel badly about the average non-professional consumer who will run into situations in an old car with their Android buddies, or DJ at their friends party, and forget a cable, but I'm not worried one bit for professionals.

Re: pro audio - yeah pro-audio when you're in a studio of major concert hall but I'm not some headlining DJ, I'm just a guy who wants to hear his music at parties, bars and festivals. In these cases you need to bring everything you want to use including your own RCA cables and patch cords because you never know.

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Re: pro audio - yeah pro-audio when you're in a studio of major concert hall but I'm not some headlining DJ, I'm just a guy who wants to hear his music at parties, bars and festivals. In these cases you need to bring everything you want to use including your own RCA cables and patch cords because you never know.

Then I'm really lost. You're used to bringing a kit full of stuff everywhere you go, "because you never know", so how is adding one more thing to it, especially when it physically connects to the end of something you're likely already carrying?

anentropic

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2011
I agree with you, I find the SD card slot essential for transferring images (when I need to), but is it really that essential in 2016? A lot of modern cameras can chuck images across to the computer wirelessly and the only people who will be inconvenienced most by the removal of the SD card slot are photographers. Apple has positioned the Macs as premium 'lifestyle' choice machines for many years now as they don't really care about the Mac any more, nor the traditional user of the Mac which were the content creators, photographers etc. It's all about iOS and iPhone with Apple as that's what makes them money.

It's really naive to think that Apple actually gives a toss about the Mac. I realised this about 3 years ago. They were happy to just offer incremental updates as it involved as little effort as possible whilst still making a little money. It was only when they introduced the 12" MacBook as 'the future of computing' when it became obvious which direction Apple will take the Mac. Ironically, it may win them many new users at the expense of the traditional user, who Apple have long stopped caring about.

It's not just pro photographers

For anyone with a camera it's much more convenient to just plug the card in and copy the files FAST, rather than rely on whatever clunky and slow wifi implementation may be in the camera (for older cameras more likely some awful USB transfer utility)

cerberusss

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2013
The Netherlands
for older cameras more likely some awful USB transfer utility

When I still had a separate camera, I always grabbed my pics with the standard Image Capture tool. No clunky transfer utility necessary. It's fast and useful, and also works for your iPhone.

Now I really understand that people are used to a workflow. But the cable method was equally as fast as the SD-card method, in my experience.

blesss

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2016
Is this a rhetorical question, or a honest one?

Assuming the latter, here in The Netherlands we have a pretty great website that allows one to filter on connection type, and I only really get two hits. There are more but these are more like extra 15,6" screens, not meant as a main screen.
https://tweakers.net/categorie/344/...TJzSlKLipWsqpUMTc1MQXRZYo6SVbSSpZGJkVJsbW0tAA

LG 27UD88-W, which is a 27" 3840x2160 screen, retailing for 552 euros.
Acer H7 H277HU, which is also a 27" at a more regular 2560x1440, retailing for 549 euros.

There's also the Philips 258B6QUEB, which is on Amazon.de for about 405 euros. Resolution 2560x1440. What I find interesting about that one, is that it comes with an Ethernet connection.

is there a reason i'm not able to find that philips monitor on any site servicing US/canada? i want to buy it but literally can't find any store to give my money to

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.