New macbook pro sufficient for Logic Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by musica, Mar 1, 2011.

1. musica, Mar 1, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2011

musica macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I'm currently using my two year old Macbook Pro 2,5 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB DDR2 RAM for making music with Logic Pro.

I want to upgrade to a new Mac because the CPU always reaches 100% in my projects. As a dance music producer I use a lot of vst-instruments and effects and do little recording of real instruments.

I was thinking about buying a Mac Pro One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon W3530 “Nehalem” processor, but now the new Macbook Pro's have quad core processors as well. Therefore I'm considering buying a 15 inch Macbook Pro in stead of a Mac Pro.

Does anyone know if there is much difference in performance between the Mac Pro and Macbook Pro when using Logic?

Thanks!

2. notclosetofour macrumors member

Logic Pro runs smoothly on my Core 2 Duo so I would assume that the i7 Sandy Bridges in the new MBPs would be more than sufficient performance-wise for anything that you want to do with Logic.

3. gakuran hitori macrumors regular

gakuran hitori

Hello.

I also use Logic Pro for mostly electronic music, so I know how much CPU and RAM plug-ins and effects can use. Logic will make good use of those 4 cores on either choice and run very smoothly, but it really depends on if you need something portable or not. The new MBP would definitely be sufficient, but with the Mac Pro you have the ability to add more to it over time. You could potentially put two processors with 12 cores, four hard drives and up to 64GB of RAM. But of course it's not portable and you have to buy a display as well. Not to mention if you get all that you could buy a few cars for the same price.

4. DoghouseMike macrumors regular

If you put a speedy hard drive in the MBP, it should be ok. So far I've found it easier to get the "disk too slow?" or whatever it is message than I have managed to max out the CPU, and that's on a C2D.
    Where the desktop would allow you more options with RAM, and hard drives etc, and probably be "useful" further into the future. But not particularly portable, and you could always use an external scratch disk on the laptop

5. hookedonhydro macrumors newbie

slammin

I went from a 2ghz dual PCC G5 with 8 gigs of ram to a new 13" i5 mbp and last night made a slammin DnB track with crazy synths and effects goin and the meter never went more than 1/3 up.. crazy. insane not to get one.

6. kutsushita macrumors regular

kutsushita

i can run logic pro, reason, maya 3D, and CS5 at the same time while working in all four no problem on my 2010 13" 2.4 c2d.

7. Nun macrumors member

Good to hear. I just purchased that exact machine and was hoping it would cope better with logic than my last laptop.

8. eaf7s macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

Any of the new MBPs will do. In fact, with enough RAM + 7200rpm or SSD, the i5 would be more than enough :)