New MacBook Pro, Superdrive not found...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nahtanoj, Jun 11, 2007.

1. nahtanoj macrumors newbie

Okay, so my new MacBook Pro arrived today:

2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    160GB Serial ATA Drive@5400rpm
    SuperDrive 8X
    15" Widescreen Display

Everything was working fine, and I was testing out lots of different things without any problems for hours, but I had not yet thought to try the CD/DVD Drive. Then I decided to open up iDVD just to look around, and it told me no DVD burning device was detected but I could continue anyway. I knew there was a problem now, and so I checked the stats under "About This Mac" and found the following under Disc Burning:

No burning device was found. If you are using an external device please make sure that it is connected and powered properly.

Now I knew there was a problem. So i took out a blank CD-R to test it and slowly fed it into the drive to see if it caught. To my surprise, it sucked up the CD as if everything was normal. However, it has since shown no sign that the CD is inside, and pushing the eject putton does nothing. So the CD is now inside the computer with no way to access or eject it, and the CD/DVD drive shows no sign of life. (and presumably it never has)

Has anyone ever heard of this happening before? Any advice? Would they be able to fix this at the apple store in the morning?

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help!

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Bring it in and ask them. You cant buy a beautiful machine like that and not have a functional optical drive. Also try rebooting the machine, verifying the HD in disk utility, and see what the people at the genious bar have to say. Good Luck Mate.

3. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

I'd just go into the store and ask for a replacement, and I'd take it out of the box in front of the genius and test everything in their presense before taking it home. That way, you'll know the replacement is good.

The optical drive is a major component, basically, and if something like that is failing now, I wouldn't want it fixed, I'd want it replaced, especially seeing how its less than a day old.