New MacBook Pro swipe backward huge delay !

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joefoong79, Aug 16, 2017.

1. joefoong79 macrumors regular

Just found all my friend MacBook Pro 2016 and 2017 including myself have a huge delay when you swipe backward pages at YouTube when watch last 4 video at the bottom last search result. When without scrolling down the page with click the video and after loading then swipe backward pages will have a delay before reload back where you are. Funny thing is the top video in search result doesn't have any delay. Only those bottom 4 to 6 video is affected. Suspected something wrong JavaScript.

2. The Mercurian macrumors 68000

I get this on a 2014 MBP also. I just assumed it was Safari being not good

3. joefoong79 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes. Chrome was fine. I stop JavaScript then no more this symptom. This is a huge drawback of safari

4. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Could you explain this a little clearer? Struggling to understand what you mean.

5. joefoong79 thread starter macrumors regular

when you view the video on youtube using safari within 10 seconds hit back return using swipe back gesture on trackpad or mouse then it will have 3-second delay before reload back page. not all video perform this symptom, only when do perform search result and the last 4 or 5 video on the bottom last of the result did it. btw I keep testing some website found out even Amazon have this symptom with just can't perform gesture swipe back page with a fast pace in search result pages. it will delay with lagging before mouse can move again.

6. New_Mac_Smell macrumors 68000

New_Mac_Smell

Oh that!

Okay. That's a Safari thing, to do with how swiping works. If you swipe with 2 fingers but don't release, you can 'peak' forward and back right? This peaking behaviour is what swiping effectively is. It does this by storing a snapshot of the page, so that when you peak you can see it. When you swipe back it is displaying that snapshot, and then reloading the page after. This is that slight delay you see.

It doesn't do this in Chrome because you are not 'peaking', you are in-fact going back in your browser history. If you use the forward/back buttons in Safari you'll see similar behaviour to how Chrome works, 'instant' and no lag etc.

If it really bothers you, you can disable this peaking feature in Trackpad settings.

I hope that's clear and makes sense. Effectively two-finger swiping in Safari is not going back in history, but is in other browsers. In Safari, it displays a snapshot of the page, and then reloads it once committed to going back.

7. joefoong79 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for taking time of explanation. Only solution for me now is disable swipe back function on peference and use app bettertool or using chrome. Apple should fix this on high sierra.