New Macbook Pro Temperature Idling High?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MacCrystal, Apr 11, 2011.

1. MacCrystal macrumors newbie

I know there have already been a number of threads started because of this but I am looking for more specific information on my situation.

When using my new Macbook Pro to simply browse the web (with CPU 95% idle) the CPU temperature is reported at 60 degrees Celsius with fans at 2000rpm.

However, when playing a flash game the temperature of the CPU immediately jumps to 94 degrees Celsius with fans at a full 6200rpm. It continues as this for the duration of playing the game.

Even watching YouTube it jumps to 80 degrees Celsius and then takes it's time to slowly drop down to 60.

Are these figures something I should be concerned about?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you had read the other threads you should have gotten the impression that this is normal behavior. Flash and video inevitably increase processor temperature.

3. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

There have been a number of threads concerning this exact problem.

It is not uncommon to have the laptop be in the 60s on (almost) idle. Flash is notoriously known to tax the CPU and heat up on the Macs.
    I've never had the temps hover anywhere close to 80s [more like low 70s] when YouTube videos but I guess it depends on the browser you're using [I'm using Chrome] and the definition you're playing it in.

4. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

This doesn't happen on my macbook pro, i often idle at 27-30 using SMCFanControl (fans @3000 RPM) and gfxCardStatus to force the integrated CPU.

Without these measures I'm at about 40-45 watching youtube videos with discrete GPU and fans at 2000 RPM

Ask a genius if they wouldn't mind opening it up and reapplying the thermal paste. Depending on the genius, sometimes they're obliging.

edit: when i'm playing Dragon Age II with high settings and 4x AA the fans are at ~6000 but the temperature stays constant at ~70-75ish

5. Derango macrumors regular

60 is a bit high for idle.

90 isn't out of the question for flash gaming though. Those things use way more CPU power than you would think they do

6. MacCrystal thread starter macrumors newbie

Just did a few tests with different browsers and quality. Both in Firefox and Safari a standard quality video would get temperatures to around 70 degrees celsius.

Then with high quality 720p both browsers got to 80 degrees but Firefox jumped up there much faster while Safari slowly increased through thee 70's.

As well as this it could be to do with me having the 13" with the integrated graphics.

I downloaded SMCFanControl and tried to increase the minimum fan speed but as soon as I did so the app crashed. Does it support the latest Macbook Pro's?

7. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

yeah, that makes sense as you have the processor and graphics generating heat...

fan control works on my rig, and it's a 2011 macbook so it should work for yours?

8. MacCrystal thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm… seems to work now but still crashes every so often.