New MacBook Pro: Thanks insurance company...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by joshuaAwesome, Oct 5, 2010.

1. joshuaAwesome macrumors newbie

Last week I spilled Mountain Dew all over my late 2008 MacBook Pro while it was running. The soda was sucked into the fans and pretty much toasted the computer. In the process I also managed to drop it and mess up the lid. I turned in the claim to my insurance company and they settled for the price of the current top of the line 15" MacBook Pro. So I got a free upgrade to the latest model :)

I know that Apple has been pretty reliable about releasing new models each October, but the last refresh wasn't too terribly long ago. I have to buy a replacement ASAP for university work, but I was wondering if there's a chance that a new model could come out in the next 30 days or so. If so it'd be great to return this replacement and pickup the next model.

Any thoughts?

2. milan03 macrumors 6502

milan03

Not a chance, imho.

3. moel macrumors 6502

There is more chance of discovering the secrets of alchemy

4. goldenlotus macrumors regular

Not till next year is the word on the forum... and even that is supposed to be a minor bump because the most recent update was pretty significant.

5. puma1552 macrumors 601

Good chance a 2.8 Arrandale BTO option will silently show up.

The clock speed difference is marginal, but it should be a much better chip being that it will have much better optimized silicon.

6. AdamRock macrumors 6502a

AdamRock

if i recall the last time they released a product in October was 2-3 years ago...

7. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

They seem to have released them about every 8 months since they switched to intel. 8 months from the last release would be in December, and there's no way they would release one that close to Christmas, so I think January would be the earliest you would see a new model, but it may not be until later.

And looking at the buyers guide, they haven't been that consistent about updating Powerbooks/MacBook Pros in October, they've only done it three times since 2002 which is the farthest back the buyers guide goes.

8. surfologist87 macrumors 6502

If i were you, go ahead and buy it now.
    Then, when the new ones come out, put yours up for sale.
    They hold their value so well, that you really wont lost much.
    Then buy the new one.

ALSO! You said youre at the university, so you probably get a student discount.
    Use that on the second one next year to save another 100 or so dollars.
    You may come out even.

9. crypticlineage macrumors regular

Since no one has bothered to ask this important question of you, let me be the first:

Which insurance company is this? Can you provide details of your coverage. It seems prudent to have such a coverage.

10. rmlred macrumors regular

What is the name or your insurance company?
    Do they have a website?
    Are they world wide?
    Thanks

11. Hammer97e macrumors member

I don't know if I would go as far as to say you got a "free" upgrade. How many months, years, have gone by with you paying a monthly premium and not filed a claim. I, by no means, am trying to rain on your parade, I think it is absolutely awesome that the insurance company covered it. I assume it must be a renter's or home owner's insurance policy. Enjoy.

12. tcphoto macrumors 6502a

tcphoto

I would buy a current model on the Apple refurbished page and use the difference on Apple Care.

13. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Tell me it's Allstate. Say it. Was it actually accidental damage insurance or did you claim a burgler came in poured soda on your laptop before dropping it to the floor?;)

14. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

Most insurance companies will do this as part of a homeowner's or renter's insurance policy. If you own a house, check with your insurance company; they might automatically cover your laptop, or you might need to declare is specifically.

And if you rent, you really should get renter's insurance. It's usually very cheap, and worth it.

My insurance carrier is a "local" company (limited just to the state of NJ and parts of PA), but they are very good, and minus a deductible, will cover all my gear: laptop, camera gear, everything in my house, and it doesn't have to be IN the house when it's lost or stolen. And they insure for the cost of a new replacement as well.

15. joshuaAwesome thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. As soon as the check arrives I'm going to purchase a new machine. Pretty confident that it will be a while before Apple refreshes the line.

For everyone that asked, the MBP was covered under a personal articles policy on my parent's homeowners policy with State Farm. Full coverage is only around $60 or so per year for a $3,000 computer :)

16. mark28 macrumors 68000

I don't agree.

Sony has announced their new Sony F laptops with the new core i5 2.66 ghz and GT 425m.

Apple could follow, considering Apple also followed Sony with the core i5/i7 & 330m. ( Sony was first )

17. puma1552 macrumors 601

Agreed, I think we will see a speed bump, but I don't think we will get a new GPU til Q1, probably a 425 (which will be old by then as is the pattern) with a gig of VRAM.

Would love a 2.8 i7 with a gig of VRAM, 1333 MHz RAM, and an IPS screen. Will be a while til at least all of those or better are present in a machine though.

18. rekhyt macrumors 65816

... What did you submit the application under the personal articles policy? It sounds peculiar that they would cover this damage from an accidental incident.

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

It's not that strange, accidental damage is often covered under insurance policies.

20. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

hahaha :D

21. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

You can pickup a personal articles policy without having anything attached to it (atleast in my state). I had it last year and will probably pick it up again. Theft, accidental damage, fire, and some other stuff. I think there are some random "acts of god" clause stuffed in there but it's definately worth it, especially for (0) deductible and skipping a claim on your homeowners/renters policy.