New Macbook Pro time...several questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gangst, Jun 15, 2009.

1. gangst macrumors 6502a

Hi,

Right it has been quite a while since I've upgraded my laptop. I went from a PowerBook G4 to one of the original white Macbooks 2.16GHz I think, and it is now knackered. Having now fried it's second battery I cannot be bothered to shell out again, it is painfully slow at day to day operations even though it has 2GB of RAM and I clean installed Leopard in September 2008. Ultimately, Uni life has killed it. I need a new one.

So I'm currently weighing up a few things whether to jump in and get a 13" or 15" or wait. Seeing as I'm now back for summer from Uni I'm happy as Larry using my Quad PowerMac G5. I know there is the iPod Touch deal on at the moment, would September/ October be around the time for new spec upgrades for the MacBook Pro's (I know they have just been upgraded!), but seeing as I am not 'desperate' for a new laptop it could potentially last me longer. How would the power of these new Macbook pro's stack up against a Quad G5 with 4GB ram, just that I want my laptop to be uber snappy.

Also what are people's experiences of carrying a 15" compared to the 13". I find the 13" really convenient and nicely discrete for when I take it to Uni to do my work. Will I feel like a PC gommo with the 15". However, the screen space would be nice...

Thanks for any advice.

2. crisito macrumors regular

I'm thinking the same as you, would like the screen size etc.

I think I've decided on the 13"

3. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

Although I don't have hard evidence, but I'm sure a new MacBook would be snappy and snappier since you will get the benefits from Snow Leopard (which only works on Intel Macs).

4. gangst thread starter macrumors 6502a

quite possibly, SL looks promising; maybe upgraded Finder and threading if it lives up to expectations. I still think a notebook would struggle to compete though as I'm running 1TB in RAID0, e.g. Mail, Searching, moving files, etc..

5. kurzz macrumors 6502

kurzz

The 15" is perfect for a laptop screen and I really like the higher resolution on it.

But, man, the difference in carrying a 13" and 15" is noticeable and becomes magnified when you carry it every single day.

The 13" fits so nicely in my backpack and that 1 pound really does make a difference.

6. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

"Happy as Larry"?

Normally I would say no, but maybe Apple will upgrade the SATA speed by then. ;)

13" would be a must for me, but I expect that's something everybody has to judge themselves.