new macbook pro...to upgrade or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by happle, Oct 21, 2011.

  1. happle macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #1
    so iv been planning on buying a 15" macbook pro to replace my unibody macbook. i produce music and could really use the extra cpu power of the i7.

    i just heard the new pros are coming soon but are just a small spec bump. do you guys think it would be worth it to wait for the next update? keep in mind that i still use and would like an optical drive, which i heard the next update will eliminate. but then again its not the end of the world if i dont have one.

    also, a lot of people have told me never to buy a first gen redesign.

    so based on what i have provided do you guys think it would be smart to wait or pull the trigger on a new mbp. any suggestions are appreciated.
     
  2. SojIrOu macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2011
    #2
    If it's true that it's coming in the next month, you should just hold off a little bit. No point getting one now and then regretting it later. After all it'll be the same price but with a "free" processor upgrade.
     
  3. warvanov macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 13, 2011
  4. Titanium81 macrumors 6502a

    Titanium81

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2011
    #4
    I'd wait, if just a few weeks. You can always buy the older 2011 at a discount if the new one is not what you want.
     
  5. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 29, 2008
    Location:
    New York
    #5
    As the old adage goes: If you need it, buy it now. Otherwise wait!

    From the information you provided, I don't think you need to buy a new MBP before the spec bumps happens. Just wait it out my friend; hopefully it will only be a couple of weeks.
     
  6. mark28 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #6
    How about buying a cheapo 21"5 iMac? It's faster than a $2200 2.2i7 MBP.

    Just ignore geekbench, it's synthetic benchmarks. In real benchmarks the $2200 MBP isn't faster :)

    And keep using your old MBP as your mobile device?
     
  7. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #7
    guys im talking about buying the new pro thats coming out within a month...

    i mean should i buy the one thats coming out or wait till the entire redesign? because i know this update is just going to be a slight spec bump.
     
  8. shardey macrumors 6502a

    shardey

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2010
    #8
    In that case wait, sounds like you aren't "needing" it now.
     
  9. randomrazr macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2011
    #9
    the new pro is a sight processor bump

    u wont even notice a difference witht he current models

    either suck it up and buy or wait...wait....and wait,.,,,,..
     
  10. happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #10
    wait for the new pro to come out (just the slight spec bump) or wait for the whole new redesign in about a year to come out?

    the reason why im asking you guys is because i heard the redesign will lack an optical drive which i still put to use and i heard its usually not a smart idea to buy a first gen redesign. its usually best to wait for a 2nd or 3rd gen to work out the bugs.

    based on that info do you think it would be smart to buy a new pro in a month when the new pro comes out? or wait a whole nother year.
     
  11. snaky69 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    #11
    If you need a new computer now, by all means, buy it now. There will ALWAYS be something faster and better and more sleek looking around the corner, no matter how long you play the waiting game.

    Remember that rumors are just that: rumors. Use your common sense and you'll make the right decision.
     
  12. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2010
    Location:
    Maryland
    #12
    Yea I would definitely wait until next month, why not wait and have the latest and greatest
     
  13. happle, Oct 23, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2011

    happle thread starter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2010
    #13
    lol im not even considering buying the current mbp model. im considering buying the update thats in a month or the most likely redesign in a year...

    idk y everyone keeps thinking im considering buying the current mbp. for the last time...its between the next closest update in a month and the update that will most likely be an entire redesign in a year.

    so basically im asking your guys' opinion on whether or not you would buy a first gen redesign or if i should just stick with the new pro thats coming out with a small spec bump since i know there arent really any issues and the cooling is good. plus like i said i do still use the optical drive for burning and ripping cd's and for games and ****.
     
  14. ScottNWDW macrumors 65816

    ScottNWDW

    Joined:
    Jul 10, 2008
    Location:
    Orlando, Florida
    #15
    For all those on the fence about buying a new MacBook Pro. I wouldn't buy one now because Apple hasn't announced anything yet but in 2012 the line will be updated, therefore for the latest and greatest MacBook Pro you should wait until about April of 2012 to get one.

    But then, by that time rumours of the 2013 model will be flying around at full speed and that one promises to be really awesome, so maybe waiting until 2013 might be your best bet.

    However, my inside sources at Apple say that the 2014 model will be the "next generation" model and therefore waiting until that version is out would be the best bang for your buck.

    Then again, with the way chips are being designed the 2015 model will be revolutionary and an entire game changer as far as laptops go so if you want the best of the best of the best then 2015 is your year to buy that MacBook Pro you need now. After all you wouldn't want to buy an outdated computer would you.

    But then in 2016 and then 2017 the rumor mill is really speculating some amazing things.

    The moral of the story is.... if you want the MacBook Pro buy it now, a new updated version is always right around the corner.

    Then again, if you really want that totally awesome MacBook Pro, 2018 will be the year to take the plunge. or maybe 2019, no wait 2020.
     

Share This Page