New Macbook Pro track pad question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mcbates23, Oct 17, 2008.

1. mcbates23 macrumors newbie

Does anyone know with the new track pad to click on something do you have to push down on the pad or can you set it to just tap like you can on pc's?

And how do you select text to highlight without any physical button?

Thank in advance for any answers?

2. Hls811 macrumors 6502a

Hls811

The WHOLE PAD is a physical button.. You use it nearly the exact same way you use the current track pad, except you no longer have to push at the bottom - you can push anywhere.

3. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

The trackpad is connected more at the top than at the bottom, so as you go closer to the bottom of the track pad it's easier to push down.

I checked out the MB/MBP yesterday and the trackpad feels and operates surprisingly close to the older aluminum MB/MBP. I actually forgot it was a different trackpad while testing it out.

4. SinkToTheBeat macrumors newbie

I believe you can still set it to tap, I'm pretty sure I saw a screen shot of the track pad preference pane with a check box to turn on tap clicking.

So to highlight text you could double tap and drag, or just click the trackpad, drag, then release.

5. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

You can also do something called Tap and Drag. Basically, for a split second after tapping something, if you move the cursor it will pick up/highlight the item you clicked on. As mentioned, you can just click the pad itself. You can also set it up so clicking in a certain corner is a right click, not a regular click (alternately, you can tap with two fingers, or click the pad down with two fingers)

6. Lurk macrumors member

QFT

Yeah, I was a little skeptical at first about the trackpad until I tried it out myself. It definitely does feel really close to the older MB/MBPs and it took a second thought to remember that it's a completely different trackpad without a button. I used it as if the button was there, my thumb in the lower area doing the clicking and my index finger to move around.

It's surprisingly comfortable and usable. I wouldn't have known it's glass if I hadn't read about it.

7. mcbates23 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all for the quick answers. Now I just need to buy one.

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

I just came from the Apple Store where I checked out the new trackpad. It looks exactly like the old trackpad, except for the lack of a separate button. It clicks from the bottom, though, just like a regular button. Other than the new gestures, I see absolutely no advantage to the new trackpad.

9. WilliamG macrumors 604

Well, it's a lot smoother cause it's glass, and uh, it so much bigger! Means it's a joy to scroll around pages etc. So, there are obvious advantages.

10. Empyre macrumors member

The whole trackpad is indeed a button, but there is sort of a dead zone at the top of it where it does not depress. Also, there are many different cool options you can Alter in system prefs: there is a "Drag Lock" option so if you double tap your finger on a window it will begin to drag, but will not release from drag mode until you tap your finger again to "unlock" it so to speak, same thing works with highlighting text if you have the Drag lock feature enabled. But you dont have to do that, you can hold down one of the corners of the track pad and drag as if the old MBP button was still there.

11. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

from what i understand and as posted above, the trackpad "hinges" on the top. the farther you go down the trackpad the easier to push.

(kinda like a virtual button at the bottom)

12. 7even macrumors 6502a

If you treat it as the previous touchpad, with the button at the bottom, and do regular taps for mouseclicks without using the button, then it's extremely usable and just as nice to use as the previous touchpad. If you try to use the whole touchpad as a single button, then you might run into difficulties.. Treating the bottom area as the physical button, much like previous Macbooks/Pros, felt very natural to me.

13. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

See, that's the thing: it's no smoother, and you can't even tell it's glass - it's painted silver/gray.

14. WilliamG macrumors 604

I respectfully disagree. It's smoother than my Penryn and late 2007 model MBPs.

15. shoulin333 macrumors 6502a

it isnt painted, it has a silver piece underneath so you cant see through it, and the glass itself is glass beeded slightly to give a touch of traction

16. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I find it weird to use. I'm used to using my left index finger resting on the button even though I use my right hand to click. Since the new touchpad is all touch, I confused myself wondering why I couldn't move the mouse.

17. honestaeb macrumors newbie

It's funny. When I first started using the new trackpad, I was clicking exactly like I would do with my old iBook, and I was confused for a second, I was like "It's clicking but there's no button!" I set up the tap feature, and have been playing with the right click function, but I think I am going to turn it off. I am pretty used to doing the control-click for the alt menu. I also dig all of the gestures...Especially the four finger expose. There is a slight learning curve with it, but overall, I am liking the new trackpad.
    [​IMG]