New Macbook Pro Upgrade HD and RAM

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BigComeDown, Jul 14, 2009.

1. BigComeDown macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm new to posting but have been searching the forum for a couple of months now deciding whether or not I should purchase a Mac. Coming from using windows my whole life, I wanted to make sure this would be a good choice.

I've decided on the Macbook pro 2.26 GHZ with 2GB ram and 160GB HD. I plan on upgrading these before I boot my laptop up. I watched several videos on how to replace the two, which seemed pretty simple.

I just wanted some opinions on the Ram and HD i have chosen:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148374
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148191

Once I install the Ram and HD, will it just be reformatting the HD and reinstalling the operating disc?

Thanks

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Those will work fine, and yes, just install them, then reinstall the OS from the restore discs.

3. CalMin macrumors 6502a

CalMin

Crucial RAM is great. Use their website to tell you which sticks to buy.

As for reinstalling, why bother? If your machine and apps are set up how you like them, use Superduper or Carbon Copy Cloner to clone your machine to the new drive via USB or firewire, then switch them over.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The OP is going to change the RAM and HD before he even boots it, so a reinstall from the restore discs will be the fastest way.

5. BigComeDown thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the quick responses. I'll be ordering everything tomorrow, then the anxious wait begins...

6. BigComeDown thread starter macrumors newbie

So I called Apple to order my laptop over the phone. He kept pushing me to upgrade Ram so i told him i was purchasing the aftermarket Seagate 500 GB 7200 RPM. He said it would void my warranty because the macbook pro does not support 7200 RPM. I then asked about an aftermarket 500 GB 5400 RPM and he also said this would void my warranty.

I've read several posts that said it would not void the warranty, however, I'm concerned about the 7200 RPM.

Any thoughts?

7. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

The HD is user-upgradeable, it doesn't void your warranty.

8. Some Guy 555 macrumors regular

Whoever you were talking to is an idiot. It says in the manual that upgrading the hard drive can be done by the user.

Here is what my apple manual that came with the laptop says:

"Replacing the Hard Disk Drive"

"You can upgrade the hard disk drive in your MacBook Pro. The hard disk drive is located to the left of the battery when you open the back of your MacBook Pro. The replacement drive must be a 2.5-inch drive with a Serial ATA (SATA) connector."

The manual then goes on into the steps of doing it with diagrams.

This is on page 38 of the booklet.

9. CrazedVW macrumors member

CrazedVW

Sounds like he was trying to pad his commission a bit by upselling.
    The drive is user upgradable and easy at that. Just keep the old drive and memory in case you ever need to send the machine in for repairs.

10. YoNadz macrumors regular

I am thinking about purchasing the same set up for my new 13" MBP. I am kinda new to upgrading. Will the 4GB of ram you are purchasing be added to the factory 2gb for a total of 6gb?? Or will the 4gb replace the factory 2gb for a total of 4gb??? Thanks!

Also, if I back up with time machine to a external, when I replace the hd and boot up for the first time with the discs, will the back up remember all my personal settings in Leopard??

11. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Has the whole new macbook pros and 1.7 firmware update clashing with aftermarket hard drives issue gone away?

12. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

You will have to replace the original 2x 1GB sticks that's in there with 2x 2GB sticks.

Alternatively you can put on the spender pants and stretch for the 4GB (single stick) and have 5GB, then upgrade to 8GB in the future. But I guess that it's a wiser choice to only upgrade to 4GB(2x2) since the 4GB sticks are really, really expensive.. :)

13. BigComeDown thread starter macrumors newbie

next problem.. sure it has real simple answer.

I installed the new hdd and its showing under disc utilities, but what are the steps to reformatting the hd so i can reinstall OS X?
    This is a brand new macbook pro, harddrive and ram were swapped right away.

14. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

In Disk Utility, choose Erase, then Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

15. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Apple doesn't work off commission.

16. CrazedVW macrumors member

CrazedVW

No, but he must be getting some sort of reward if he was pushing that hard for the OP to purchase upgrades and giving inaccurate information to try to convince him to buy said upgrades. The reward doesn't necessarily have to be money.

17. YoNadz macrumors regular

So my MacBook Pro will automatically recognize the ram. Easy enough. But is there a step by step for the initial back up, install, and boot up for the new hard drive? I don't want to mess this up. I apreciate the help!!

18. YoNadz macrumors regular

Also, will installation of this ram and hard drive combination void my Apple Care warranty??

19. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Repeated again and again. Upgrading your RAM and HDD does not void your warranty, you just won't be covered for the parts you do upgrade.

20. phungy macrumors 68020

phungy

This is exactly what I did too but instead of buying the 2x2GB Crucial, I went with the separate 1x2GB sticks since it was actually cheaper. $26.99 each + $2.99 shipping for both = $56.97. At the time, the 2x2GB wasn't priced at $57.99 shipped, It was in the $63-64 range. Anyways, you'll notice a good decrease in startup time and applications loading faster.

21. D4F Guest

D4F

That's the same thing I was told by the apple rep in the store. So I asked him why the manual states otherwise and guy basically shut up chocking having no idea what to say.
    Bunch of crap to sell more expensive product.

22. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

why don't you just get the high end 13" macbook pro with 2.53 GHz 4 GB RAM and a 250 HDD

its going cost almost the same if you upgrade it