New MacBook Pro - Upgrade RAM Before First Start-Up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DadHatter, Aug 24, 2008.

1. DadHatter macrumors newbie

I purchased a new MacBook Pro this week, and also ordered 4 GB of memory as an upgrade (from another seller). I'm wondering if there is any issue with installing the new RAM before booting up for the first time? Obviously, it's a non-issue either way, but are there any issues with making the swap from 2 GB to 4 GB before going through the Leopard set-up stuff?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

Boot your machine first to check for issues, otherwise you'll be sitting around diagnosing the real cause of the problem.

3. Teej guy macrumors 6502a

True words. Run it stock. If you're happy with it after a day or two (even a week) of solid use, put in the ram. By that point you'll know if your performance is improved by changing the stock config, or if something is wrong, you'll have a much easier time of diagnosing it.

4. amac4me macrumors 65816

amac4me

Use the Apple supplied RAM for a few days to ensure things are running smoothly.

Then if you decide to upgrade, purchase a complete 4GB kit and KEEP the stock RAM. If you ever need to run a hardware test or send your MBP in for repair you'll be best served (less hassles) by using the stock RAM.

I purchased a 4GB kit from Crucial for my Penryn-based MBP for approx $100.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I installed my RAM before my first boot-up--no issues there, but I would still recommended doing a stock boot before an upgrade; just in case there are issues that you need to replace your computer, you don't have to mess around with the RAM 3 times.

6. rychencop macrumors 65816

rychencop

yeah...make sure you don't have any issues, then install the upgrade.

7. wakeborder556 macrumors regular

Very, very wise.

8. jdzialak macrumors regular

I got mine with 2G in April and just upgraded to 4G.
    I honestly am not seeing much difference, if any at all.

Joe

9. Applepwns macrumors member

yep boot first play with it for a day or two then install the amazing 4gb of ram =P