New MacBook Pro - Upgrading Hard Drive And Other HELP!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JGC1986, Dec 13, 2010.

1. JGC1986 macrumors regular

JGC1986

I just recently picked up a MacBook Pro, the $1199 model with a 250GB hard drive from Best Buy (Only reason - 24 months no interest with their store credit card).

I would like to upgrade the hard drive, but need to know exactly what size screwdrivers to use. I was able to take out the 10 screws and unplug the SATA connector from the hard drive, but there are star screws that are on the actual hard drive I need to remove and put on the new one...Since I didn't have a star screwdriver, I had to put it back together. ONE screw will not go in all the way on the side, and its annoying me. Because of this, I'm scared to take it apart again without the proper tools and stripping a screw or hole.

So if you don't want to read my rambling, my questions are:

1. What #/size philips head and star screwdriver should I use, and can I find there at a hardware store easily?
    2. Would a hard drive from a Windows laptop work if I took it out, plugged it in my Mac, and used Disk Utility to format it first?
    3. Has anyone else experienced screws that will not go in all the way after taking apart their MacBook Pro?

Thanks for any answers in advance!

2. davidlv macrumors 65816

The screws or nuts on the side of the HD that hold it in place on rubber shock absorbers, you need a Torx 6 driver not a star. The one you said would not go back in, may have caught the edge of the nut on the rubber. Look at it carefully and make sure it is seated correctly.
    The tiny screws on the back of the MacBook Pro, that's a #00 Philips head screwdriver.
    If the Windows drive is a 2.5" SATA I or II it will work, most modern drives are II. None of the drives produced today are either only for Windows or Macs, it's an industrial standard. That MBP can use a 9.5 or a 12.5 mm high drive.
    You are probably better off buying a new one rather than use a drive that has been used in another computer, technology has advanced and prices are very reasonable now.
    Of course if you do use that Windows drive, you will have to boot from the Install DVD and create a partition on the drive then install the OS.

3. JGC1986 thread starter macrumors regular

JGC1986

The drive is a Western Digital Blue Scorpio 5400rpm, and it is 640GB, only about 3 months old.

Are you saying I can just install it, without first formatting it, into my macbook, then boot with disc (OSX install DVD in white sleeve that came with macbook) and use that to create a partition, which will wipe all my data?

I still might shop around and see if I can get a 750GB or 1TB drive that may be 7200rpm, but i am concerned about decrease in battery life?

4. sbddude macrumors 6502a

That is correct.

There is no 7200 RPM 1TB drive that I am aware of (only 5200/5400). I have both 1TB and a SSD in my 17" and I don't notice any hit in battery life.