New Macbook Pro user. Any tutorials on moving from Windows to Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by vmv89, Aug 1, 2014.

1. vmv89 macrumors member

vmv89

After many years of being a Windows user, I decided to switch to Mac.

Can anyone recommend some video tutorials (YouTube or others) that teach new Macbook users essentials as well as advanced use? (Shortcuts,deleting/installing apps,antivirus,defragmentation, flash, java, reinstalling OS...etc).

I am looking for a tutorial that shows how user experience is different so I can transition smoothly.

I searched YouTube for such tutorials, but only found videos that show how to install windows on Mac or how to move files from windows PC to a newly purchased Mac.

Thank you!:apple:

2. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

There is a great book I had called "the missing manual" by David Pogue. I presume there is a mavericks version of it. The reason it's good is it is written from the POV of you know how to do something on windows, how do you do that on mac.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

4. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

5. MinEderPlayz macrumors 6502a

MinEderPlayz

After reading these tips, I'd love to hear what you think about OS X. Solely the fact that you won't need defragmentation or antivirus is awesome IMHO, but I'm interested to hear your opinion.

I'm not sure about Java (I overheard someone saying it's no longer a part of OS X) but afaik Java is preinstalled.

6. mawyatt1 macrumors member

I switched over a couple years ago from Windows. I had never used a Mac, or even sat if front of one. Just got fed up with the Windows many issues, so I ordered a MacBook Pro Retina.

To help with the transition I got a book Switching to the Mac, Lion edition which has proved highly beneficial.

My only issue with the MBPr is that Apple soldered in the RAM memory in the MBPr and thus prevented an upgrade. I had never heard of a computer with soldered memory until it was time to upgrade to 16GBs, 8GB is not enough for my uses.

So now I am looking at another Mac, probably a Mac Pro. I'll keep the MBPr as my portable though, it's a great laptop IMO outside the soldered memory.

BTW I did just upgraded the SSD with the Transcend 720 960GB, that was easy!!

7. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

:)I read some tips, watched few YouTube tutorials, and am really excited about OS X. Everything seems so easy; can not imagine how I lived without OS X all this time. But I will give a feedback when the MacBook Pro is delivered and I have played around for some time.

:mad:One negative thing is only that Apple have only DELETE, unlike Windows DELETE OR BACKSPACE. But that is a minor thing, and I will easily get used to using shortcuts after spending few weeks with Mac.

:rolleyes:I know Antivirus is unnecessary for Mac, but what if I do install Webroot Antivirus (offered to me for free by my bank); will it be even better than no antivirus or it might actually harm the system so I should not have any antivirus installed?

Thanks!

----------

Thanks. I looked at that book online. I will be ordering one if they release Yosemite version.

I am so glad I will be leaving Windows for good. My main reason for switching is OS X. It is really user friendly, stylish, and has many features and apps that I just love.

Windows 8 has a potential, but I think it will take 2-3 more years to have a solid Windows 8 operating system.

:cool::D:apple:Bu once I will go Mac, I will never come back!

8. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

Antivirus will not solve any problems that cannot be solved by being a cautious user. This is largely true on Windows as well. It will almost certainly hog resources. It may even introduce vulnerabilities into your system, as it is internet facing, runs with root privileges, and interacts with untrusted files.

9. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

Thanks.
    I will most likely not use any antivirus.
    What about other services like malware/spyware protection?
    Also Webroot Antivirus offers the additional service of protecting a user from going to a harmful websites. When I search for anything on google, Webroot rates the websites and warns me when I am trying to enter a website that has some type of malware/spyware/virus. Should I worry about this in OS X?

10. nexus4life macrumors regular

Most likely it'll be Windows malware/spyware/viruses - but just be smart about where you're going/what you're doing. Don't download a file you don't know that much about etc.

Also might I recommend this video tutorial : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcLoBvu5NXg

11. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

556fmjoe

You can do that with the Web of Trust add-on for Firefox and other browsers. This would be a better solution, as you would not be installing large amounts of code that have to run with root privileges. It's always good to be cautious when visiting websites, even on OS X.

12. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Instead of the Pogue book mentioned, there's another one he wrote called "Switching to the Mac" that covers the differences in a Rosetta Stone way.

13. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89

14. Crayland macrumors newbie

Here are a few links I recommend that you check them out.

Apple.com/support/mac101/

Apple.com/support/switch101/

Hope this helps

15. StevenB14 macrumors regular

StevenB14

Function key (fn) and backspace will act like the windows delete key.

Maybe you've already read this elsewhere but thought I would just chime in :)

16. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

17. vmv89 thread starter macrumors member

vmv89