New Macbook Pro user, Screen quality??

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by silvrbullet, Jun 19, 2009.

1. silvrbullet macrumors regular

Hey guys, I am a new Mac user and so far I love it! My biggest concearn is the quality of video playback when I am watching a DVD movie. On my Old HP laptop, the quality was far better. Is there an issue with playing DVD's, or does it have to do with the screen resolution of the MBP (1440x900)?

As far as still pictures go, the screen looks great! Its just video that doesn't look the best...

Macbook Pro 15" 2.4 | 2GB Ram | 250GB HDD

2. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

Maybe it's the DVD your watching? I have the 17" with 1920x1200 but still the screen properties are about the same...my movies look gorgeous.

What exactly is wrong with the quality? Colors? Whites and Blacks? Pixelation? You shouldn't be having any problems with your screen resolution.

Also, what were the specifications of your other screen?

3. silvrbullet thread starter macrumors regular

The video looks like it has a decent amount of noise and just doesnt look sharp. I have tried Old School, The Dark Knight, and Underworld. All look about the same quality full screen. When iDVD initially opens, it launches the video in a smaller window, and then the quality looks awesome. Its when I go to full screen it doesnt look very crisp.

4. MacRumorsReader macrumors member

MacRumorsReader

5. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

Have you tried opening Quicktime/Preferences and checking "Use high-quality video setting when available"?

6. silvrbullet thread starter macrumors regular

Yes :rolleyes: Like I said, I'm new to Macs...

No, I haven't. I will try that. Would it make a difference if I switched to my dedicated graphics?

Thanks for the help, guys!

7. bli625 macrumors 6502a

bli625

It shouldn't make a difference if you switched to dedicated graphics.

8. unagimiyagi macrumors 6502a

Minus the glassy uber-reflective coating, the screen quality is among the very best out there in a 15" laptop.

9. martynmc7 macrumors regular

I think the problem is simply that DVDs aren't very high resolution, and this is highlighted by better monitors. When the DVD player opens in a smaller window that's the native resolution size, when you go fullscreen it's going to look worse because the resolution is being stretched. It's a bit like when you watch a normal TV signal through a HD signal, it usually looks worse than a CRT TV picture, but that's simply because the CRT had a much lower native resolution than the HD TV. Try downloading a HD trailer from the Apple website, put that fullscreen and you'll see the marked improvement over DVD quality on the superior monitor.

10. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I find that the blacks get crushed in video, you lose a lot of detail in dark scenes. It looks good but you arent getting the true picture you should be getting.

Not true, it stinks compared to the upgrade options from PC manufacturers (high-res 100% RGB gamut displays). PC laptop makers really stepped up the game a couple years ago, Apple has yet to follow.

11. CTechKid macrumors regular

This is good advice. Download the 'UP' trailer in full HD. Let us know what happens.