New Macbook Pro Video Card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trebuin, Aug 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

The new Macbook pro video card has a greater chance of being an ATI card per the issues with the nVidia cards.

The 8000 series have been faulted with a high failure rate, but there was hope that the 9000 series could have preformed better. Now, according to the inquirer, the 9000 series is also suffering from high failures: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/08/12/nvidia-g92s-g94-reportedly . Specifically, the G92 and the G94 chip, which includes the 8000 series, some 9600 series, and 9800 series.

If you're a nVidia lover, don't despair yet; the inquirer has not stated specifically the failure rate and if you don't know, the inquirer is not a reliable source. Also, the Macbook pro motherboard design could have already been finalized. If this does flare up more than it is now, Apple will probably migrate back to the ATI, the card I favor.

2. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Erm.... well for one, I already posted this in this forum (after finding it in the Mac Pro forum posted by someone else), with that exact link.

For another thing, you're being completely speculative.... it won't necessarily force Apple back to ATI, as they may have already finalized the design completely and have bought a load of 9600 GTs.

I prefer ATI to nVIdia too, always have (better image quality, much greater reliability in every sense), but right now the best we could hope for would be the 3650, which would be a notch below the 9600 GT in terms of performance, and barely on par with the 8600 GT. A little pathetic.

I'd love the 3850, but it's too hot and it just wouldn't work, even if they clocked it way down.

I think it's too bad they don't get a 4650 out, that would be pretty good deal.... same 320 shaders as the 3850/3870, and on a smaller manufacturing process, making it (possibly...) feasible for the MBP.

3. Trebuin thread starter macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Yea, I caught that after reading through. Your title isn't exactly specific. Also, I never said that this is going to happen. I also stated that the inquirer is not a good source. There's a lot of things still in play: is the new macbook going to use nVidia in the first place? Is it designed with it yet? Are vast quantities of chips already ordered? and so on. If the 9xxx series really does flop as bad as the 8k and apple sticks to the nVidia for one of the previously mentioned reasons, we can probably expect an ATI card in the next refresh, whenever that happens.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I see absolutely no reason to start yet ANOTHER repetitive thread on this subject, since there are already dozens of active threads on this issue.

5. Trebuin thread starter macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Yea, I'll see if I can get this deleted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.