New Macbook Pro video card

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tyw5667, Apr 22, 2009.

1. tyw5667 macrumors newbie

I am considering buying a macbook pro but I just can't justify that much money for an inferior video card. I play a lot of games but it would also be nice to spend less time on OS maintenance. Any idea when they will put a new card in besides the 9600gt? Thanks

2. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Then I guess you should probably get an AlienWare. Apple will never stick a serious gaming GPU in the MBP. It really doesn't matter since to do any real gaming you will be running Windows in BootCamp.

3. tyw5667 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fair enough. I am actually on an alienware right now haha.

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Apple has never really put a very good card in the MBPs. They've mainly been the 600 variants of both ATIs or NVIDIAs (e.g. X1600, 8600M GT, 9600M GT) which are all mid-range. Apple may choose to put a GeForce 130M in the summer update, but that's only a slight bump up. One can hope they use the Mobility Radeon 4830 in the 17" MBP as it's 40nm and quite cool compared to other high-end mobile cards, but that's highly unlikely.

5. The General macrumors 601

The 9600 can max out UT3. It can play Crysis at medium-high. What more could you expect out of a laptop?

6. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I'm hoping for a nvidia gt 130m in the "supposed" updates coming out this summer. Its the only likely card.

And BlizzardBomb they wouldn't put a ATI card in the 17" because of the 9400.

7. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

8. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

They aren't stuck with the NVIDIA motherboard for life you know ;) I said it was extremely unlikely anyway, but it would be great as the 4830 consumes only slightly more power than the 9600M GT and with ATI PowerPlay it can really clock itself down to save energy instead of having to log out and switch graphics cards. One can dream :p

But yeah, hopefully they update the graphics card and the most likely candidate is the 130M.

9. hishat macrumors regular

hishat

Any person looking for a serious gaming machine, should NOT look for laptops.

they will always be inferior to desktops, Apple is a business, keeping costs down is a MUST, why would they install a expensive mobile graphics card in, for the small % of users who will use a MBP for gaming?

want a serious gaming machine? buy a desktop.

laptops are designed to be portable and we shouldnt really expect desktop performance, thats why alienware charge a arm and a leg for their laptops.

Source:

Employee for EA Games UK.