New macbook pro! vs 13 inch air (which air)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by akad, Oct 24, 2012.

1. akad macrumors member

Sigh, I was really disappointed at the price of the new retina.. Now, vs 1600 (student), I can get a macbook air at 1150 or 1250. The only difference between the two is 4gb ram. Is it worth a 150 difference? (amazon has the 4gb model for 1100). My inclination is yes... because I am taking a hit to the processor by opting for a 1.8ghz i5 vs the 2.5...

I am a future grad student btw.. also what do you envision will be limiting if I get the air vs the pro?

2. akad thread starter macrumors member

3. Adamb10 macrumors member

Ah the classic 13" air vs 13" pro debate. I was in your same shoes earlier this year and opted for the air. Heres why:

The air has a higher resolution screen: 1440x900 compared to 1280x800 for the Pro. I appreciate those extra pixels alot.

Lighter: With the latest iMac update, Apple has eliminated the optical disc drive from all it's consumer products and the retina MBP's. Do you know why? No one uses them anymore and it adds weight. You'll hardly notice carrying the air in your backpack but you will notice the MBP in your bag.

SSD: The air comes with an SSD that makes the computer a lot quicker for certain tasks (notably booting and launching apps). You wont see the app icon bounce once before the app opens.

Now obviously there are reasons to get the MBP. The CPU is more powerful (if you absolutely need it, depending on the work you do with it), and because they come with standard hard drives, there is more space available. Also if you absolutely need the optical drive, then the MBP is your choice.

My recommendation, if you do get the air is to upgrade it to 8GB of ram. The airs have next to zero upgradability, the ram is soldered on. I would future proof your air and just get it with 8GB.

4. Santabean2000 macrumors 68000

Santabean2000

The MBA is certainly a great choice. It will most everything you want it to really well.

The only reason I would recommend the MBP is if its your only computer. It has room to grow as your needs expand over time.

IMO the 13" rMPB is in its novelty phase; early adopters need only apply. It's too expensive for what it is. And a lot of work is needed by developers before you'll consistently see the benefit of that stunning screen.

In short: buy the MBA (with 8GB RAM).

5. Pakaku macrumors 68000

Pakaku