new macbook pro vs Montevina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Presto80, Mar 2, 2008.

  1. Presto80 macrumors newbie

    Mar 2, 2008

    i been waiting for macbook pro for quite sometime..intending to buy once a new release is out...

    but the day it came out..rumours tat Montevina based macbook will be out in JUNE..thats very fast..

    im new to does anyone know what does Montevina based processor will improve on other than cpu speed and cache differences.

  2. steveza macrumors 68000


    Feb 20, 2008
    OK firstly Montevina is a chipset not a processor so the next MPB upgrade will still use Penryn processors. With that in mind the difference may not be that great depending on what you use your machine for.

    Secondly the chance that you will see a new machine before August is pretty slim IMO.
  3. markrivers macrumors 6502a


    Feb 9, 2008
    Valencia, California
    i think the best approach in buying an MBP is this:
    1. list down your NEEDS first, how you will use it etc
    2. how much are you willing to shell out
    3. check out your options..

    Seriously, many people are waiting for something, that they don't even understand how it will affect their computing needs..

    if you only surf, listen to itunes, watch some movies and do some paperwork.
    even the 2006 MBP release can handle that! having said that,
    you're actually safe in purchasing the current model.. or even the previous model that was released june 2007.

    just my 2 cents.
  4. Matek macrumors 6502a

    Jun 6, 2007
    Back when Macs used PPC chips, updates were usually pretty big and same models were out there for longer periods of time.

    But now Apple is in the PC world where everything develops much faster, new hardware coming out every few months and they have to upgrade their software too. Just like the last MBP update came 3-4 months after the previous one, we could very well see the next one in 3 months. And the next one, and the next one, and so on.

    Montevina will be a platform upgrade. The CPU will still be a Penryn chip with some minor updates (higher clock, less power consumption), the graphics card will be slightly updated (X4500 instead of X3100) and the memory clock will be raised (DDR2 800 and DDR3 support).

    Like others have suggested, you need to decide what you need and when you need it. Is the current MBP fast enough for you? Buy it. Do you need a computer now? Buy it.

    You can wait for eternity with your current arguments, because every few months a new model will come out and another update will be announced. Since the lineup has just been updated, I can't imagine a better time for a purchase.
  5. jbg232 macrumors 65816


    Oct 15, 2007
    If you're willing to wait for Montevina you have to prepare yourself to wait until Nehalem (2009) because that will be much better (comlplete redesign). However, after Nehalem I'm sure there will be something much faster than that so at some point you have to give in and accept that whatever you buy will only be the best for 6 months. People over exaggerate why one would "need" a faster chip. For regular uses, you'll be completely and utterly fine.
  6. pgoty macrumors newbie

    Mar 2, 2008
    Presto, I was in the same situation last week. I was a current 24" Imac user and wanted to get a macbook pro, so I waited until they announced the new models in February. Well I sold my Imac and converted to the 15" MBP and I love it. I kinda wish I could've afforded the 7200rpm hard drive but oh well. Now rumors are flying about a new redesign in summer with new chips, blue ray etc.. I guess my point is that if you become one of the 'FanBoys' you'll never become satisfied with what you have. For me I love the performance of my MBP pro with my current needs.:)

    good luck
  7. patp77 macrumors member

    Jul 11, 2007
    Probably the only reason to wait for the next laptop at this point is if you are unsatisfied with the look of the current machine as a redesign is well in the realm of possibilities within the next year or so. Having said that, there's nothing that's been officially announced in terms of a redesign so it may not happen for another year or two. The only reason people assume it will happen is because the current Macbook Pro design has been out since 2003 if I remember correctly. So for a design to last 5 years is a bit surprising but then again, it shows just how far ahead of its time that it was since people still prefer the look over many of the PC laptops released even recently.

    In terms of performance, sure the next machine will be better than the one released today but then so will the one after that and so on. I don't think any major performance changes are on the horizon until Nehalem but even after Nehalem is released, there will be something even better due out shortly after that.

    The point is, if you don't have a specific need for that extra performance, then why would you wait for the next machine when you could use one right now? Sure I can understand waiting for an update to happen when a model hasn't been updated in almost a year but now that it has, is it really worth waiting another few months 'just in case' an update happens?
  8. jonnos macrumors regular

    Apr 18, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    if you need it, buy now.
    if you dont, wait and buy later?
    ive been waiting and wanting a mac since late 2005. i never needed one at the time up until now. i took the plunge and placed an order online for my first ever mac just a couple of hours ago. im starting 2nd year of uni and this part of my degree is most full on and which would require a computer. whole of last year i put up with using the universities mac pros and imac and my pc here at home.

    my next update will be in 2011 :D
    be content with what you have. having the most fastest and latest product wont last you a long time and ull probably get over it very quick.
  9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603


    Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    Think in terms of upgrading every 3 years or so. Then you will always have something fast. If you miss a update that will bring performance in 5 months then who cares. In 3 years, it won't even compare to what you will have then.

    Think back in the 90s. People probably wondered if they should wait for 90 Mhz processor next year or settle for the 66 Mhz processor today. Looking back now, both seem like dinosaurs and slow.
  10. BlueScreenX macrumors member


    Feb 7, 2008
    San Antonio TX
    lol don't wait for somthing new.. When it was just updated last week..... you may have a long wait(aug or even sept). Also...the increase in speed will be no more than the last update...if not even less.
  11. Harryt223 macrumors member

    Feb 18, 2008
    I have to agree with most of the people here...

    Just buy it and be happy. I just got the new MBP last week.. still waiting for it to arrive.. but yeah.. I was waiting 1-2 weeks for the new MBP and got it.. now a newer one is coming out in June roughly.. but I rather get it now.. so I have it and can do my college work.

    Like everyone else stated.. technology changes.. you buy something.. after a few yrs it's garbage.. but that's how it is with computers... It should last you a few yrs and by then you'll want to upgrade and a newer one will be out.. far more superior that what you have...

    that's just how it is.. but I know I'm happy I'll be recieving a MBP in a week.. :D
  12. spaceballl macrumors 68030


    Nov 2, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    There will always be new updates coming down the pike. Historically, I've found that the best way to preserve the life of my laptop is to buy right when they updates come out. Thus, I ordered my new laptop last week. If you're going to wait for the motevina refresh, go for it! But then make up your mind, stick to it, and buy right after the refresh. Don't wait and then decide to buy a current gen MBP in May!
  13. Presto80 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 2, 2008
    ya if the new update is jus some increase in speed i will nt be bother..

    but i heard someting like bluray and wimax?
  14. Pees330 macrumors 6502

    May 26, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV
    Those are all speculations at the moment right now. It's impossible to know what Apple is really doing until the day of release. If you think that Blu-Ray is a need then you will have to wait. Blu-Ray could be added in the next update or it could be until 2009 until they are added to MBP.
  15. jbg232 macrumors 65816


    Oct 15, 2007
    Especially because the new nehalem supported chipset (calpella) supports blu-ray natively.
  16. deniser macrumors 6502


    Sep 14, 2007
    Cornwall, England
    Me, I am going to stay one maybe 2 models behind and take advantage of the huge price drops on refurbs. Also any bugs will have been ironed out :D:D:D

Share This Page