New Macbook Pro vs Old Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jdavis89, Oct 29, 2008.

1. jdavis89 macrumors newbie

I have a Mid 2007 MacBook Pro 2.2GHz. I am very envious of the new upgraded macbook pros. But as they look ascetically better, are they really that much better speed wise? Or am I just going crazy. I upgraded my current mid 2007 MBP with 4GB ram, 320GB 7200rpm HD. So my 2.2MBP is pretty well stacked. But how does it stack up against the new MBP's?

2. mattnxtc macrumors member

Assuming you would plan to jump to the 2.4 MBP, I would say that it is not worth it for you unless you just want to have the model you think looks better. Performance wise I wouldnt expect much difference.

3. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Do you do graphics intensive work, and do you expect to use this laptop in Snow Leopard?

If they take advantage of GPUs for more than just graphics, the performance differences could be vast, depending on the GPU you currently have.

If you are happy with your machine it may pay off to hold out until the next series that will likely take advantage of Nehalem architecture.

[​IMG]

4. hunterjoules macrumors member

Last week I was ready to purchase a Macbook Pro, but had to decide which one to get--early 2008 vs late 2008.

From a performance standpoint, they are virtually identical, except for GPU intensive tasks. If your work isn't GPU intensive, you'll get similar results with either.

Then there are other things to choose between. Late 2008 has no matte screen option, and I preffered the keyboard on the early 2008. However, the latchless lid on late 2008 is awesome, and the ports are laid out better.

For me it came down to cost. I was able to purchase the $2,500 early 2008 Macbook Pro for $1600 on the Apple Clearance on-line store (with educatoin discount).

However, if you *already* have a Macbook Pro, I'd wait until the Nahalem processors come out. Plus people have some gripes about the design of this first generation Macbook Pro case, which will probably be worked out in subsequent production runs.

5. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

I dunno what you use your Mac for.

Me however, I use it mainly for my photography needs and with 4gb of ram and a 7200rpm drive it's more than capable of handling 12-15mb RAW files from my camera.

But the new Macbook Pros sure do look nice. No latch an a nice case.
    Other than that I don't see any reason to update to the new one unless you do heavy gaming because the graphics card in the new machine is very very fast apparently...

6. mattnxtc macrumors member

Question for yall:

On the classic MBP, it looks like it comes with 2x1 ddr. Are you able to upgrade it to the 2x2?

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

To the OP, hold on to the MBP you already have for now. It is an excellent machine, and while the new one looks rather attractive, from what I have read, the changes mostly seem cosmetic. The real changes which may have an impact on performance will make an appearance and - here, I'm guessing - possibly late next year. Change your MBP then.
    Cheers

8. jdavis89 thread starter macrumors newbie

I use my MBP for heavy internet browsing, watching movies and listening/downloading music. I also run bootcamp with Vista Home Basic, btw vista sucks so much but runs well on the MacBook Pro. Im not to sure what heavy GPU work is, could someone explain that to me? I upgraded my MBP to 4GB of Ram which is so nice and added a 7200RPM 320GB HD, which I love!!!! I had to get that custom installed my a local computer shop didnt want to open the case by myself, so you guys think I should just get over it, I like that idea its the cheapest! haha i just love the way they look. But now that I think about it, my machine is a beast with all the upgrades I did to it. I love it! Thanks guy, keep on posting I love hearing that the older machines are just as good! What do you guys think about the next MBP revision? Late or early 2009? What improvments will they have/expect! I really am trying to hold off for a Mac Tablet, but thats in my dreams hahaha!

9. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Having upgraded (Apple replaced my laptop actually) I can say that on paper the new MBP is not that much faster, in real world performance it is much faster. With that being said, if there is nothing wrong, there isnt a night and day difference between the two.

GPU work is heavy video editing, photoshop, games, etc...
    Snow Leopard will have some pretty sweet new technologies (under the hood) that will be able to take advantage of the insane power of the new GPU's, so that might be something to think about.

If you can curb the itch, be happy with what you have.
    If you do upgrade, you won't be disappointed.

10. jdavis89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im pretty sure Snow Leopard will run just as well with the OLD MBP's. Of corse the new ones will be better but I dont think the old ones will NOT work well. I could be wrong, what does everyone else think.

11. tdgrn macrumors 6502

I don't think there is any reason that Snow Leopard wouldnt work on the 8600m, obviously the 9600 would work better, but the 8600 should be fine.

Who knows, maybe the Hybrid SLI configuration will work under Snow Leopard.

12. Firefly2002 macrumors 65816

Performance wise they're identical. The faster RAM and FSB doesn't help anything (except maybe the integrated nVidia 9400 chip in the MB).

Aesthetically.... well imo they're hideous. But to either their own.

13. O. Frabjous-Dey macrumors regular

It's not enough of a performance boost to be that much faster.

Keep in mind that new installs are always faster than old ones. Yes, it's not just a Windows thing. OS X accumulates cruft as well.