New Macbook Pro vs. ???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by FoxDavis, Feb 20, 2010.

1. FoxDavis macrumors regular

Hey Everyone!

Say the new macbook pro has the i7 or i5, what is already out that has excellent specs that will keep up with the MBP? Does Dell, Leveno, Asus, Alienware? I am talking about cost and performance? What is out there now to buy? Is Apple behind in releasing the best laptop?

2. Noobrosi macrumors newbie

Don't believe Mac will be able to put out something that is as good as this for the price.

http://www.xoticpc.com/asus-g73jha1-order-p-2731.html

I'm considering getting one. At this rate it might come out at the same time as the new MBP. I hope I can hackintosh it once support for it comes out :)

...I have to get something to run SC2

3. gfiz macrumors 6502

gfiz

nice specs, but looks like the bastard child of a notebook and a stealth bomber.:eek:

4. Noobrosi macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's the problem I'm faced with going into the PC world. Everything looks like crap, nowhere near what Apple can throw out there. I'm just anxious for the new ones to come out so I can make my decision.

5. Cali3350 macrumors regular

Sony Vaio CW. 1600*900 Core i5 540M Geforce 330M

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

We would all like to think that Apple is releasing the best product. That's the sole reason for all the people on this forum, myself included, waiting and waiting for Apple to release updated MacBook Pros. All of the major manufacturers have products that should be comparable to the next revision of the MacBook Pro from a purely technical perspective, but none can match the aesthetics of the unibody enclosure or include the key defining characteristic, OS X. If you're even thinking about getting a Mac vs. a PC, wait for Apple to launch their competitor to the new Core i3/i5/i7 PCs hitting the market now, and to the soon-to-arrive products coming in March, as some models are slow to begin shipping.

7. FoxDavis thread starter macrumors regular

Nice, I just wish the MBP can be cool looking with some nice cut lines and can kick all the others butts. Macs just are easy to use and man they have some nice little touches that make me crave them more then anything else but the market is getting tuff. There's some nice stuff out there and the prices are looking so good.

8. Noobrosi macrumors newbie

You can buy the A2 and X1 versions of that laptop now but the A1 which has 1TB and Blu-Ray comes out early-mid March. So it's only a given that I wait until the new MBPs come out and then we compare :)

...if they ever come out.

9. davidlv macrumors 65816

Gizmodo has a review of the HP Envy that is interesting, as it reveals the real differences between the products out there at the present. The comments after the review are also very revealing. Check it out before you are tempted to jump ship because of the long wait!:cool::apple::cool:

10. FoxDavis thread starter macrumors regular

I love the Mac OS so much that I will not leave Apple. But like you were saying the other manufactures are making some cool products. What I want to see is the price points with "Hypothetical" specs. We more then know that it will be one of the Core processors and I'm not that up to all others laptops.

11. mark28 macrumors 68000

Linux - Windows dual boot works fine with me too ( in case hackintosh doesn't turn out so well ). So this are one of the few alternatives out there for me incase the MBP doesn't impress me

From Asus
    16 inch LED
    i5-430M
    4GB DDR3 Ram
    ATI hd5730
    500gb Hdd
    eStata, USB3.0 & USB 2.0
    65Wh battery ( just like the MBP has )
    price = white Macbook

From Sony thinking about the E-series or the F-series. But I heard there are some issues with the microphone so I'll have to wait and see when it gets resolved with an update :cool:

The Sony's are more visually pleasing like the MBP though. There are probably a few more laptops that I'm considering.

But I'm waiting still for the new MBP. :cool:

12. kny3twalker macrumors 65816

kny3twalker

The only products which really compare to the MacBooks are hp elitebooks, lenovo thinkpads, and Dell latitudes/precisions. I really feel like gaming notebooks (Dell alienware) and premium consumer notebooks (studio xps, envy, all sonys) are just a slight step down from MacBooks and small business laptops. Still any of these are much nicer than the entry level acers, gateways, etc...

13. Dekimasu macrumors regular

Sony S is going to compete with the 13" MBP for my money.

Core i5-540M (2.53GHz)
    500GB HD
    4GB RAM
    NVIDIA GeForce 310M
    8.5 hour battery (or just 2kg with the 5.5 hour battery)
    13.3" 1366x768 screen (not a plus or minus, just for comparison)

for less than the upper-level 13". Plus it comes with a 3-year warranty instead of 1 year. If you don't care much about looks or want more screen resolution, the 14" Vaio C is an even cheaper option.

14. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

The CW has a poor washed out screen, as does the F series with the 1600X900 screen. That's the one thing most PC's on the market don't offer (unless you pay $$$) are high contrast screens with deep blacks like the MBP's. For me, the screen comes first.

15. mark28 macrumors 68000

The premium screen from the Sony F series are actually good ( the Full HD ), I heard it's even better than the screens of MBP despite not being LED.

16. FoxDavis thread starter macrumors regular

With anti-glare? Or without?

17. 6-0 Prolene macrumors 6502

It may have great specs, but that ASUS is one fugly machine.

[​IMG]

18. alent1234 macrumors 603

unless you buy the cheapest PC laptop, everyone has LED LCD panels on laptops.