Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alattehotte

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 26, 2016
Palm Springs, CA
I have the brand new MacBook Pro 15" with the touchbar. I updated the software this morning, Hoping that it would solve the issue, so I have macOS Sierra 10.12.2 and the issue persists.

When I open Photos for example, the cursor will disappear for about 30 seconds then come back. Same thing happens with Safari depending on which sites I have open. I am even having the problem with the new QuickBooks on my MacBook Pro. My 13" MBP did not exhibit this behavior. It's annoying, especially if I need to get to something quickly with a customer on the phone.

This is the only problem I am having, but its important enough to mention and hope for a fix. I posted on Apples website with no replies. Hopefully someone has an idea?

Help!!

Reactions: Caribbean Mac

popeyesm

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
I am experiencing something similar. It feels like the system is freezing because the touch pad isunrepsonsive. then it pops back in and is just fine.

Opus00

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2012
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It is not unique to the 2016 tMBP. My old 2012 rMBP also suffered from this problem. It reappears when I go to show my desktop. I think it could be software related. So far I haven't experienced it on my 2016 15" tMBP yet.

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I think there's a feature where if you lose the cursor, you wiggle it back and forth really fast and it shows up. Give it a try

jk76

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2016
Somewhat related...

If I use hot corners for automatic screen saver/lock, and unlock using MBP Touch ID, the cursor is invisible until the first click. This bug has been reported to Apple, maybe they fix it some day, it's definitely an aesthetic usability issue.

popeyesm

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2012
Per abovew could this be related to cursor size? I enlarged the cursor as soon as I set it up. The default was just too tiny for me. Could this be the culprit?

urbanwoodsman

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2013
I had this problem as well. If you press the ESC key the cursor will disappear. For me, it's because I use to rest my middle finger on the ESC key on the standard keyboard. Can't do that any more. I've accidentally escaped out of so many windows and programs in the last couple of days. I've also thought there were a bunch of bugs with Chrome, drop down menus closing out, etc. Nope, finger was sitting on the ESC key. Maybe you're experiencing some other issue, but that's my experience so far.

Remember, if you rest your finger just to the left of the ESC key on the touchbar it will register as a click.

GatorGhost

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2014
Per abovew could this be related to cursor size? I enlarged the cursor as soon as I set it up. The default was just too tiny for me. Could this be the culprit?

I tried a large cursor and had the OP's issues and then went back to the small cursor and WALA...no problems. Seems to be an easy fix for the Apple Software team to adjust. I used the large cursor on my 27" i-Mac, but do not want it on the smaller screen anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.