New macBook Pro - weird calibration issue with hueyPRO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by kevinansfield, Nov 29, 2008.

1. kevinansfield macrumors newbie

Hi guys,

I've just taken delivery of our new iMacs, macbook pro and a huey pro calibration tool. Everything seems to be great so far! Only one slight issue...

I tried the huey pro tonight on the macbook and I got a really weird pink tinge to the display! Thinking that this was a huey problem after reading up on it online I decided to email Pantone about it. However, I just tried it on one of the 24inch iMacs and it worked fine! Better colour, deeper contrast (probably due to the gamma change) and no colour cast at all, very happy.

So after seeing it work ok I went back to the macbook and got the same problem as before, looking at it a bit more closely though from one very tight vertical angle almost 90 degrees to the screen the colours do look right. But... veer off that angle vertically even a little and I get a bad pink or green cast. Has anyone else had problems calibrating their late 2008 macbook screens? Does it sounds like a screen issue or a calibration issue? If it helps at all, switching back to the standard supplied profile and the screen looks fine again and has pretty reasonable vertical viewing angle.

Any help or advice would be gratefully received. I can live with using the standard profile, but obviously it would be better to use the huey seeing as I've paid for it!

Cheers,
    Kev

2. silentsage macrumors member

I had the same problem, and I think was due to the Huey trying to compensate for ambient light.

To fix it, when the step came in the calibration process where the sensor tries to read the ambient light (not the screen), I covered the sensor with my finger so it read "no light". I then completed the calibration process normally.

It worked for me, might work for you.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

As with all glossy displays it is best to calibrate the monitor with no ambient light around you. So in the dark does work best.

4. kevinansfield thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm. I've just tried the holding thumb over the ambient light sensor technique but that doesn't seem to make any difference, the screen still gets a very blue cast when it does this.

I'm wondering if the ambient light sensor is picking up some of the red light from the leds that seems to get transferred down through the clear plastic. You can certainly see a red ring around the ambient light sensor where the white cover is raised a little...

5. mauro emme macrumors newbie

...the same problem

Hi Kev,
    I have the same problem with my new imac 20"! :-(
    Have you got a solution in this time?

Mauro

6. fotolaria macrumors newbie

MBP calibration

I've been trying to calibrate & profile my panel for almost 2 weeks now.

(MBP 15, LED, Glossy)

I'm using i1 LT and have tried different software with different settings.

(imatch, coloreyes, basiccolor,...)

Always same result -> obvious magenta (pink) cast.

After mailing with different customer services, they all say the problem is snow leopard, they all have complained at Apple and hope for a solution in the next update. (10.6.2 did not fix anything).

Very frustrating.

Rgds,

7. mauro emme macrumors newbie

...uhm, I had the same problem with leopard 10.5 too, and now with snow leopard :-(

I think it is the tft panel (very cheap) and the lazy protective glass...

If I don't find a solution I buy my imac and take a minimac with a better separate screen, maybe eizo :-(

Rgds

Mauro

8. fotolaria macrumors newbie

Eizo

Good choice i think, i own an older L768 and i'm very happy with it.

And you can calibrate it with very decent results...;)