New MacBook Pro, What To Install?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Russcco, Oct 30, 2016.

1. Russcco macrumors newbie

Hello MacRumors,

I just got the MacBook Pro without touch bar and this is my first MacBook ever. I am using this generally for school work and light gaming, what are the best things to install on this MacBook as a first time macOS user?

2. Larsenwork macrumors newbie

Larsenwork

Not too much - spend time learning the keyboard shortcuts in especially Finder. Maybe some window management - I'm using shiftit

3. iizmoo macrumors 6502

Pages, Numbers, Keynotes, the Apple version of MS Office. Take a while to get used to, but now that I've been using them for years, it really is better than MS Office unless you're an accountant and need the full power of Excel. Especially good if you have an iPad or iPhone, you can access your papers and stuffs and it's synced via iCloud to all apple devices.

For general software, look at Pixelmator. It's kinda the poor person's version of Photoshop. It does all your mid-range photo and graphic editing needs, doesn't cost anywhere near as much as Photoshop Elements or Photoshop. I bought mine years ago for $30 and it's been one of the best purchased ever.

And lastly, Omnigraffle. Once in a while you'll have a class that need graphs or charts, Omnigraffle is awesome. Depending on your major, you might not need it. I think they also have a trial 30 days thing if I remember correctly.

Those will pretty much get you through all the generic things you have to do in college.

4. ob81 macrumors 65816

ob81

I like pop clip. I use it every single time my Mac is on. The single best helpless app of all time for me.