New MacBook Pro - when to buy?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by seattlemac, Jun 24, 2007.

  1. seattlemac macrumors member

    seattlemac

    Joined:
    Aug 26, 2003
    #1
    I'm considering a new MacBook Pro for my Final Cut and DVD production... but haven't read anything about what's next for the MacBook Pro.

    I know there was a little speed improvement in the last month, but does anyone know what the next iteration will be?

    Is this a good time to jump in or should I wait a few months for the next version?

    My purchase usually signals Apple to release a faster upgrade within a week of my purchase.... :)
     
  2. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #2
    Well since the mbps were only updated a few weeks ago, I doubt you would find yourself with outdated hardware. The question lies with your needs. If your current Mac(or PC) isn't capable of doing what you need it to do, then wh wait? If you think it can wait until about Christmas time (when I think we can expect another mbp update to have occured), then wait until then.
     
  3. Kamera RAWr macrumors 65816

    Kamera RAWr

    Joined:
    May 15, 2007
    Location:
    I'm where I need to be
    #3
    Buy NOW! Run to the nearest Apple store and buy, enjoy! :D
     
  4. Deepdale macrumors 68000

    Deepdale

    Joined:
    May 4, 2005
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    I would not expect any update within the framework of a few months. If anything, the MBP might see something new in the aftermath of MacWorld in January 2008.
     
  5. Big D Skins macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    Location:
    Indiana
  6. Shrek6446 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2006
    #6
    I would buy now, if you look at Intel's road map there is nothing coming out for notebooks for at least another year. The only thing that might change in the coming months would be a small increase in speed. Buy now you will not regret it. Plus if you are a student you can get a free ipod too :)
     
  7. magic98 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    #7
    hey all,

    i want to get a mac casue i hate windows so much !!! vista = waste of money..and time !!

    been looking at mac's for a while now but was about to buy one when i saw that leopard is coming out in october....

    what do u thnk i should do?? wait ?? are the mac book pros going to change with leopard, like better hardware??

    any idea

    thanks
     
  8. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

    ktbubster

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2007
    Location:
    US
    #8
    The current update to macbook pros basically optimized them for leopard (not that previous models will have a problem with it) ... like the other few posters said, there will probably be nothin until atleast January and if then that will probably just be a small speed increase...

    Leopard will only cost 129 or 69 for students, so ... if you need a computer now, get it, if you can wait a few months... then wait. If you are a student though you can get a free ipod after rebate (and if you don't want it you can sell it and that would more then cover a leopard upgrade later)

    gl on the purchase! :)
     
  9. dmaxdmax macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2006
    #9
    standard response

    If you need it, buy it. You won't regret it.
    If you want it, wait. You won't regret it.

    If you're on the cusp don't over analyze, just pull down your pants and slide on the ice. (i.e. buy it)
     
  10. newmacguy88 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2007
    #10
    This is my first mac and I don't "need" it until the fall, but I ordered it yesterday. Since I haven't really used a mac extensively, I want to have time to get accustomed to it before I need to use it regularly.
     
  11. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

    LaMerVipere

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2004
    Location:
    Chicago
    #11
    I'd say buy now, but every Store near me is out of stock. :(
     
  12. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #12
    This is the same reason that I decided to buy after the mbps were updated. That and I was just tired of my PC.
     
  13. magic98 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 25, 2007
    #13


    im going to get one in a few weeks cause when uni goes back they might offer the ipod again atm u just buy the mbp with student discount =[

    p.s i live in australia

    :D
     
  14. Erasmus macrumors 68030

    Erasmus

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    #14
    I believe this is unlikely. I think they only do it at the beginning of the Uni year, which in Australia, is of course at the beginning of the year (annoying Americans, always gotta be different!!! :p) Unless you want to wait until next year, and get a Penryn MBP (which should give some really nice CPU speed and power consumption improvements).

    Become a Student ADC member, and use your hardware purchase. It's better than the iPod deal anyway. And no, you can't wait 'til next year and use both iPod and ADC discounts!
     
  15. roker macrumors regular

    roker

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2007
    Location:
    New Zealand
    #15
    Actually, I live in New Zealand- and here we have 2nd semester where whole new classes etc start back after exams ie half year papers (I think- just goin by what my sis told me 'cos she's getting me to sell all of her old text books in a few weeks when people are looking for them for 2nd semester).
    So, I expect the same happens in Oz, therefore we may see an iPod deal (currently there is a deal on where you get a free 2gb iPod Nano with a new iMac) ;)
     
  16. Erasmus macrumors 68030

    Erasmus

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2006
    Location:
    Hiding from Omnius in Australia
    #16
    Yeah, same here (Had my last exam today!), but I don't remember there being a free iPod deal a year ago. Could be wrong though, but I still say Go ADC.
     
  17. bertpalmer macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2007
    #17
    As previously said if you need it buy - if you don't then wait.

    I am keen to get a MBP too but I will def wait until Leopard is out and probabally wait until a new machine is out altogether. It is a long time but I cant justify spending the amount of money on a laptop when I have a pretty speedy PC which works well for me.
     
  18. seany916 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 26, 2006
    Location:
    Southern California
    #18
    Just get it now if you want to purchase anywhere within the next 6 months.
     

Share This Page