New Macbook Pro with FLASHING QUESTION MARK!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nc2tarheels, Jan 23, 2011.

1. nc2tarheels macrumors newbie

I have a ONE WEEK OLD macbook pro. I have read the manual and it did the disk utility to try and repair, but it still gave an error. I KNOW the apple store will repair this for me (since it's so new), however, they are closed right now and I'm freaking out. Is there a way that I can get my files off this computer? I took notes this week from a college class and it's a MUST HAVE! I HAVE to be able to get this word file. Is there ANY POSSIBLE way of getting this? Thanks!

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

it cant find the os, boot with option don, and select the startup disk in system prefs.

3. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Relax. Just do as stated before and boot from HD in system preferences.

Go Pirates Argggg

4. nc2tarheels thread starter macrumors newbie

this is my first mac. Can you point me in that direction? Thanks for the help!!! :)

5. ECUpirate44, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011

ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

In system preferences click on Startup Disc. Then select your Mac OSX disc. Then click restart.

Screen shot 2011-01-23 at 7.03.55 PM.png

6. nc2tarheels thread starter macrumors newbie

I put the disk in and held down the option key while turning the mac on. I can pull up a disk utility window but there is no option for system pref. Am I doing something wrong?

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Choose Startup Disk from the Utilities menu.

If that doesn't work, open Disk Utility and see whether the hard drive appears in the left column.

8. nc2tarheels, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2011

nc2tarheels thread starter macrumors newbie

If I don't put the disk in and I hold down "option" while restarting, nothing happens. I get a white screen. If I put the OS disk in, I get the screen to install OSX. From there, I can navigate to "disk utility".

Ok, I have the window up that shows what ECU had posted (the pic), however, it's showing OSX DVD, not the same thing as what's in the pic. I'm assuming that's because I have the disk in (which is the only way I got to that screen to begin with).

The hard drive is listed. I click on "verify" and it pops up an error. I'm about to throw this pos up against the wall.

9. nephilim7 macrumors regular

hardware fails. Sometimes it fails when it's new. Go to an Apple store tomorrow and get it swapped if it's bad.

try the 'repair' option with disk utility on your install dvds. If verify gives you an error, thats usually the next step.

10. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

You have no idea what you are talking about. His hardware did not fail, and his problem is software based. He just cant boot from his startup disc. I wish I could help UNC, but I don't have any other suggestions besides what I already posted. If nobody else on the forum has any suggestions, I would just take it to the Southpoint Apple store. The data on your HD is most likely recoverable.

11. nephilim7 macrumors regular

how do you know that? You know why it's not accessible? If it were bootable it'd show up as such, and unless he did something retarded like deleting the osx partitions in bootcamp there aren't many situations that would render the boot drive inaccessible.

regardless the OP doesn't seem to have the ability to convey enough information, his best bet is to head to Apple and have them help.

Could be something as minor as a filesystem error caused by improper shutdown.

12. xlii, Jan 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2011

xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I have one more suggestion. With the Snow Leopard (system) cd in the cd drive start the machine but just as you turn it on hold down the "c" key. This will boot OSX using the cd instead of the hard drive.

If the machine boots (it will take about 6 minutes) try to navigate to your hard drive and try to find that school work you don't want to lose. You can try to copy it off of your machine with a flash drive that you plug into the usb port...

If the machine doesn't boot when using the Snow Leopard cd then you are probably going to have to take it into apple. Tell them about your school work and ask if they can recover it for you...

One more point...

If you asked me for help and you lived next door....

I would open up your machine, remove your hard drive, put it in my external enclosure, attach it to my mac and see if the problem is your hard drive. We could also try to get your school work off of the disk.

Doing the above would tell us if your hard drive was bad or if the rest of the machine had the problem.

13. nephilim7 macrumors regular

firewire target mode would work for this as well.

14. Gnomecircle macrumors newbie

And that is what I would do/suggest as well. It might even be what the genii at the apple store will do.