New Macbook Pro with flickering screen

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tremendous, Oct 16, 2008.

1. tremendous macrumors 6502

tremendous

Just gone to look at them in the Glasgow store. They only had two, as they still had some older models out. One of the two had a serious flickering on the top right had side. at first i thought it was a light behind me flickering but no, it was the screen. Apple store staff saw me looking at it and said 'oh, i better close this, it's irritating me'

not a good start.

2. tremendous thread starter macrumors 6502

tremendous

i'm surprised the doom-mongers haven't jumped on this...

3. James17 macrumors 6502

That's my nearest Apple Store (well about 25 miles away). Did they take it away? I ordered mine online. Did they have them in stock do you know? Did you not buy one?

4. tremendous thread starter macrumors 6502

tremendous

a) no they closed the lid - was back in at lunch time for another look but someone was playing with that one
    b) they had them in stock (although they had sold out of the top-end macbook)
    c) i did not buy one

5. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Hmm. It might soon be time for a thread to consolidate all suspected/suggested issues with the new machines, that'd be useful.

6. thespyglass macrumors regular

thespyglass

Another screen issue?

I saw the new MBPs in-store yesterday, towards the end of the day, and the one I was playing with had a bit of an issue with me closing and reopening the screen a couple of times. Gently, and with respect, of course!

But it took a few seconds (perhaps about 4 or 5) for the display to come back on the first time I reopened it, and the second time I reopened it it didn't come on until the Genius I was talking to very subtly touched the palm rest to the right of the trackpad and maybe moved it?

Is this more likely to be an issue with the sensor that can tell when the screen is open or closed or an issue with the screen itself? The guy definitely touched the palm rest and the screen came back on immediately. Is it a motion thing? The aluminium definitely felt tough but is it thin enough for a press etc. to be able to affect the inner workings?! :confused:

Hmm.